The scorching summer heat is hard on our bodies, our moods, and our electric bills! Don’t let the temperature get you down – beat the heat and stay cool this summer with these easy to make and delicious summer drinks by Amna Tabba!
Almond, Banana & Passion Fruit Smoothie – enjoy this super easy, vegan, dairy free and delicious beverage in the summer. It’s a great choice for family and friends gatherings. As the body loses liquids in the hot weather, we need to drink more in order to avoid dehydration. This smoothie recipe can keep you hydrated as well as give you the nourishment of healthy fats.
2 large ripe bananas
500 ml almond milk
1 teaspoon almond essence – optional
4 ripe passion fruit
• Peel the bananas and place in a blender with the almond milk and almond essence (if using).
• Halve the passion fruit, then scrape most of the pulp into the blender and blitz to combine.
• Serve in tall glasses – over ice if you like, with the remaining passion fruit pulp spooned over the top.
Watermelon Coconut Cooler
Welcoming the summer with this simple, effortless and refreshing watermelon and coconut drink!
2 cups watermelon
1/2 cup of light coconut milk
1 tbsp fresh mint (around 3-4 leaves)
1/2 tbsp honey
1/2 lime juice
Fresh grated coconut
• Blend everything together in a blender except the grated coconut. Pour in jar/glasses and sprinkle the coconut on top and enjoy!
Peach Raspberry Lemonade
So this summer, or any time really, give your taste buds a treat and whip up this easy peach raspberry lemonade! Fun to make, even more fun to drink! That perfect colour will get you in the summer mood! The secret is in the simplicity, no complicated ingredients here – just 5 easy ingredients are all you need!
To Make Raspberry Peach Puree:
4 fresh peaches, pitted, then diced into large chunks
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
7 cups cold water
1 1/4 cups fresh lemon juice (from approximately 4 lemons)
Additional raspberries, for garnish optional
• Add diced peaches, raspberries and water to a food processor or blender and process until pureed.
• Place a sieve over a large mixing bowl and pour peach raspberry puree into the sieve.
• Use the back of a large spoon to push the puree around so the liquid falls through the sieve and seeds/skin stay inside the sieve. Discard seeds/skin from the sieve and set mixing bowl with liquid in it aside.
• Add granulated sugar and 1/2 cup water to a small saucepan and heat over MED heat until sugar dissolves into the water, stirring occasionally.
• Boil about 3 minutes until liquid has become syrupy.
• Set aside to cool slightly. Add 7 cups water, lemon juice and ice cubes to a large pitcher. Stir to combine.
• Pour in cooled simple syrup and peach raspberry liquid. Stir to combine again. Store covered in refrigerator until ready to serve. Serve chilled with garnishes, if desired. ENJOY!
Pineapple is loaded with Vitamin C and manganese. It also contains vitamins B6, B1, fiber, folate and copper. Just one cup of this tropical fruit is about 80 calories. It’s great for inflammation and bromelain makes it good for digestion. There’s no need for any added sugar in our Pineapple Lemonade Recipe. The tart lemon gives you that traditional lemonade taste and the pineapple sugars mellow it out.
1 pineapple chopped into pieces
2 lemons juiced
1 cup ice
• Place into your blender and blend until smooth!
Note: if you like it a little sweeter you can add some honey.