President grieved: Hakim Ali Zardari passes away

Published: May 25, 2011
Archived photo of Hakim Ali Zardari at a public gathering. PHOTO: INP

Archived photo of Hakim Ali Zardari at a public gathering. PHOTO: INP

ISLAMABAD:

Veteran politician Hakim Ali Zardari breathed his last in the capital on Tuesday after a prolonged illness.

The 81-year-old father of President Asif Ali Zardari died due to multiple organ failure, according to doctors at Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS).

Hospital sources said his condition turned critical when his kidneys and lungs stopped functioning on the night of May 23. He was pronounced dead on Tuesday morning at 11:30am. The presidency made a formal announcement through a press statement around an hour later.

Hakim Zardari was admitted to PIMS on March 15 after he slipped in his house and was critically injured.

Initially diagnosed with a chest infection, a CT scan conducted later diagnosed him with brain hemorrhage.

He had been on ventilators for some time and suffered repeated strokes during his stay at the hospital.

A large number of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) members  and other politicians gathered at the main entrance of the private ward of the hospital to receive his body but, due to security reasons, his body was taken to the President House through the rear entry of the main emergency ward.

It was subsequently taken to Chaklala air base for departure to Nawabshah, through a helicopter, for burial.

After the funeral at Bilawal stadium in Nawabshah, he was laid to rest in his ancestral graveyard Balo Ja Quba near Nawabshah district.

Seasoned politician

Elected thrice to the National Assembly, the senior Zardari was born to Haji Mohammad Hassan Zardari, landlord from a village called Fatuhal Zardari in 1930. His mother was originally from Iraq. He started his career from Khaksar Tehreek, the social movement started by Allama Mashriqi in 1931, and was elected district council member of Nawabshah in 1965.

When Zulfikar Ali Bhutto launched the Pakistan Peoples Party, Zardari joined it and was elected an MNA in 1970.

After Bhutto’s death, Zardari had a rift with the local leadership of PPP and left the party to join the National Democratic Party (NDP), an off shoot of the National Awami Party that had been banned by the government.

Because of his good relations with Wali Khan, he was made the president of NDP. The party was subsequently restructured under the name of Awami National Party.

Hakim Zardari contested the non-party elections in 1985, but was not able to bag a seat. Later, he re-joined the PPP prior to his son Asif Ali Zardari’s marriage to Benazir Bhutto.

During Benazir’s first government, he was elected to the National Assembly for the second time in 1988 and was later appointed chairman Public Accounts Committee of the National Assembly.

He was elected an MNA again in 1993 and was jailed during Nawaz Sharif’s and Musarraf’s regimes.

Hakim Zardari was implicated in a few cases and was the co-accused with his son in the murder case of federal secretary science and technology Alam Baloch.

Personal life

Hakim Zardari had two wives, the first of whom was granddaughter of renowned educationist and founder of Sindh Madressatul Islam in Karachi, Hassanally Effendi.

They had four children – Asif Zardari, Faryal (Talpur), Azra (Pechuho) and Fauzia.

His second wife was the daughter of the first director-general of Radio Pakistan ZA Bukhari and they had no children.

He is remembered by his friends as a liberal, progressive yet persuasive politician who was socially active all his life.

“I found him to be a very good friend. A good man, he never hurt anyone,” former speaker National Assembly Illahi Bux Soomro said.

According to Soomro, Hakim Zardari had an astute business sense which is primarily why he ventured into the entertainment business.

“He set up Bambino Cinema not because he was an art lover. He did so because it was a profitable venture at that time,” he said.

Another close associate of Hakim Zardari, Professor ND Khan said that Zardari was “among a few high calibre, liberal-minded people at the time.”

“He was very persistent which is reflected in his son.”

Khan said that Hakim Zardari had a huge social circle and was very good at making friends.

Condolences

Public representatives and politicians from across the political spectrum as well as prominent members of society expressed their grief at Hakim Zardari’s demise and lauded his efforts for democratic forces in the country.

With additional input from Hassan Choudary in Islamabad

Published in The Express Tribune, May 25th, 2011.

• Rehan
    May 24, 2011 - 2:05PM

R.I.P.
    My sincere condolences to the Zardari family.Recommend

• Azam Sltan Ahmed
    May 24, 2011 - 2:14PM

Condolence message to President Asif Ali Zardari:-

It was great shock and grief that I learnt about the demise of your illustrious father Mr. Hakim Ali Zardari.
    He was a old friend of my late father Sultan Ahmed, Senior Journalist of Pakistan.

I, from the core of my heart would like to express condolences on the passing away of your beloved father. Innal lillaha wa innal rajaoun.

Words may not be of consolation at a time like this. However, at this hour of sorrow and grief, let us bow our heads and pray to Almighty ALLAH to grant eternal peace to the departed soul and give all the grieved family members’ strength to bear this irreparable loss of your sister. Please convey my condolences to your family from myself as well as my family members.

Yours in bereavement,

Azam Sultan Ahmed.Recommend

• Azam Sultan Ahmed
    May 24, 2011 - 2:23PM

CORRECTED AND FINAL:-

To Mr. Asif Ali Zardari, President of Pakistan:-

It was great shock and grief that I learnt about the demise of your illustrious father Mr. Hakim Ali Zardari sahib. He was an old friend of my illustrious father late Sultan Ahmed, Senior Journalist of Pakistan.

I, from the core of my heart would like to express condolences on the passing away of your beloved father. Innal lillaha wa innal Rajaoon.

Words may not be of consolation at a time like this. However, at this hour of sorrow and grief, let us bow our heads and pray to Almighty ALLAH to grant eternal peace to the departed soul and give all the grieved family members’ strength to bear this irreparable loss of your beloved father. Please convey my condolences to your family from myself as well as my family members.

Yours in bereavement,Recommend

• Syed Qurban Ali
    May 24, 2011 - 2:46PM

Dear Asif Saheb,

It was great shock and grief to hear about the demise of your illustrious father Mr. Hakim Ali Zardari.
    I, from the core of my heart would like to express condolences on the passing away of your beloved father. “Innal lillaha wa innal rajaoun”.

My condolences to you and family.Recommend

• Nurmomad
    May 24, 2011 - 3:00PM

@ Sam – Shame on you

Learn some manners Recommend

• Mirza Zafar Hussain
    May 24, 2011 - 3:03PM

May his soul rest in peace. We all have to transit one day. Loss of father is indeed tragic, may Allah grant him a place in heaven and give strength to his near and dear ones to bear the loss.Recommend

• KHAWAJA UMER FAROOQ
    May 24, 2011 - 3:10PM

Death is realty but most of them dont want to remember. God give him sauitalb place in Jannatul firdous.Recommend

• tariq
    May 24, 2011 - 3:12PM

i heard that zardari passed away nd i was shocked, any how every body have to go.Recommend

• Nurmomad
    May 24, 2011 - 3:13PM

Thanks editor for removing Sam’s message.

I think as human beings we need to practice intellectual and emotional humility Recommend

• Ahsan
    May 24, 2011 - 3:28PM

May Allah rest his soul in peaceRecommend

• Pink-
    May 24, 2011 - 4:03PM

@ Nurmomad
    Yeah right as if only we are left humans! You should preach it to those who actually don’t know what being human is :)
    Though losing a parent is a great tragedy nothing can replace it I know.. But strange fact I don’t feel pity. Shayad abba huzoor bhi apnay betay ki harkatoun ko bardasht na kar sakay. Allah unhay unkay naik aamaal ka ajr de Ameen.
    No hard feelings yo!Recommend

• May 24, 2011 - 4:05PM

I pray to God for blessing.Recommend

• Wasim
    May 24, 2011 - 4:43PM

Rest in peace, sirRecommend

• D. Powers
    May 24, 2011 - 4:47PM

May his soul rest in peace.Recommend

• May 24, 2011 - 5:52PM

**Dear Asif Saheb,

My condolences to you and family…

ASIF SAHAB SAHAB WE ALL R WITH U……Recommend

• Siyab
    May 24, 2011 - 5:59PM

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji’unRecommend

• Danial Khan
    May 24, 2011 - 6:12PM

@Azam Sultan Ahmed:
    Azam, Did not know your father had friends such as the Zardari’s. You late mother Nighat Sultan was a lovely lady and a great teacher. May Allah grant her soul forgiveness and a place in heaven inshaallah.Recommend

• ABC
    May 24, 2011 - 6:23PM

Inna liLlah e wa inna alehe rajaoon.Recommend

• PTI
    May 24, 2011 - 6:31PM

May his soul rest in peace !!! @pink- at least spare him at this sad moment…Recommend

• Shahid Khan
    May 24, 2011 - 7:02PM

May his soul rest in peace.

he was a brave man fearless leader. My condolences to His Excellency President Zardai.Recommend

• saadia aleem
    May 24, 2011 - 7:04PM

my condolences to zardari famil and friends. Hakin Zardari was a gentle and loving person. a staunch supporter of democracy. may his soul rest in peace . ameen.Recommend

• Bangash
    May 24, 2011 - 8:42PM

My condolences to Zardari family.Recommend

• Mirza
    May 24, 2011 - 8:43PM

My God bless him and give patience to his family. It is never good to lose a parent or loved one, but Mr. Zardari had a good long life. I am sure the gnetleman was happy and proud of his son and daughter’s political successes. My deep regards and prayers to Mr. Zardari Sr. and his extended family.

Mirza, USARecommend

• Syed A. Mateen
    May 24, 2011 - 9:20PM

May Al-Mighty Allah rest his soul in peace and give solace to the bereaved family to bear the irreparable loss of life. Ameen Recommend

• May 24, 2011 - 10:12PM

true! @Pink-: Recommend

• Majid Ali
    May 24, 2011 - 10:38PM

My deepest condolences to Mr. Asif Ali Zardari and his entire family on the departure of his beloved father. May his soul rest in peace.Recommend

• ibraat
    May 25, 2011 - 12:06AM

Death the Leveller
    By James Shirley

1596-1666

THE glories of our blood and state
    Are shadows, not substantial things;
    There is no armour against Fate;
    Death lays his icy hand on kings:
    Sceptre and Crown
    Must tumble down,
    And in the dust be equal made
    With the poor crooked scythe and spade.

Some men with swords may reap the field,
    And plant fresh laurels where they kill:
    But their strong nerves at last must yield;
    They tame but one another still:
    Early or late
    They stoop to fate,
    And must give up their murmuring breath
    When they, pale captives, creep to death.

The garlands wither on your brow,
    Then boast no more your mighty deeds!
    Upon Death’s purple altar now
    See where the victor-victim bleeds.
    Your heads must come
    To the cold tomb:
    Only the actions of the just
    Smell sweet and blossom in their dust. Recommend

• Hasan
    May 25, 2011 - 4:00AM

I wanted to ask him of the French palace finances. Alas its too late.Recommend

• SK
    May 25, 2011 - 9:27AM

Inna lillah hi va inna illahe rajiun…RIP, ameenRecommend

• Sunny Deol Pakistani
    May 25, 2011 - 9:58AM

I do not know the nick name of President Zardari. I have heard from my father that when Mughal-i-Azam Akbar’s mother died, he cried like a baby. One of his stooges consoled him, and said, Shehan Shah Aap To Mughal-i-Azam Hai, Aap Kyon Ro Rahein Hain?…And Mughal-i-Azam replied..” Aaj Ke Baad Mujhe Koi AKBRU Kehne Wala Nahin Raha”…Only Mr President knows that there is no one who would call him by his nick name.

I may not like the policies of President Zardari, but my sympathizes are for him for loosing a parent at a juncture when country is going through so much pain. Recommend

• samia
    May 25, 2011 - 10:58AM

when i found out that zardari was dead i was estatic!…then when i found out it was hakim ali zardari i was indifferent. says alot. hope moderator has the tolerance to let people speak their mind.Recommend

• Sparkle
    May 25, 2011 - 4:22PM

sigh
    big tragedy indeedRecommend

• Mian Dilshad Jani
    May 25, 2011 - 6:05PM

Kind Attn:

Honorable Mr.Asif Ali Zardari sahib,
    President of Islamic Republic of Pakistan & Co-Chairman of Pakistan Peolpes Party.

Respected Sir,

I am indeed very saddened to hear this news about the sad demise of your beloved father Mr.Hakam Ali Zaradi sahib.
    I would like to express my deep sorrow over the sad demise of him.
    I pray that the departed soul may rest in peace in heaven and may Almighty Allah
    award him an exalted place in Jannah,(Ameen).

Allah (subhantallah) give courage to your bereaved family to bear the griefs from this great and irrecoverable loss.

With Best Regards,

Mian Dilshad Ahmed Jani
    & Family.

Media coordinator of PPP
    Chairman’s office.
    Tel: 00966 505605317
    Saudi Arabia.Recommend

• Thinking
    May 27, 2011 - 9:43PM

Rest in peace. Recommend

• Muhib Hussain Pirzado
    May 28, 2011 - 10:21AM

Mr. Hakim Ali Zardari was a liberal politician of Pakistan. He was the person of middle class and he new all the sorrows of our nation. He talked about provincial autonomy in 1971 and same is met in 2011, imagine his vision!
    My sincere condolences to the Zardari family.Recommend

• May 28, 2011 - 4:13PM

you have spoken for the entire nation! sad but [email protected]: Recommend