LONDON: Another 452 jobs are to be cut at Carillion, the British government said on Monday, meaning about 5% of the collapsed construction and support services company’s domestic workforce has been put out of jobs so far. Carillion, which employed around 18,000 people in the United Kingdom, collapsed on January 15 when its banks halted funding, triggering Britain’s biggest corporate failure in a decade and forcing the government to step in to guarantee public services from school meals to roadworks. The Official Receiver, which manages insolvencies for the British government, has since been looking through the about 450 contracts that Carillion was managing when it collapsed, seeking alternative contractors to complete the tasks. The organisation said the job cuts announced on Monday were across the country and related to private and public contracts that were being managed by Carillion, as well as some back-office functions.
Published in The Express Tribune, February 6th, 2018.
Like Business on Facebook, follow @TribuneBiz on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ