KARACHI: Family of Muhammad Ishaq, who was termed a militant by former Malir SSP Rao Anwar and was killed along with Naseemullah Mehsud alias Naqeebullah in a controversial police shootout in Shah Latif Town on January 13, has submitted an application to the police for the registration of a murder case against SSP Anwar and his team for killing Ishaq in a fake encounter.
Ishaq's younger brother, Muhammad Yousuf, was among the family members who reached Karachi on Tuesday to register the murder case.
"We have submitted our application for registration of a murder case against SSP Anwar and his team," confirmed Yousuf. "The policemen at the District SSP Malir office received our application and told us they would contact us later."
In the application, the family claimed that Ishaq was taken into custody on November 11, 2016 from a madrassa in his hometown Bahawalpur and since then he was missing. "Ishaq was a madrassa teacher for the last 16 years," Yousuf said, adding that he was taken into custody from the same madrassa by personnel in four vehicles - two vehicles of elite force and two of plainclothes personnel.
Since then, the family had been searching for him and had approached each and every police station in the district but was unable to find him. The family said that the incident came to their notice when they saw the news on television channels about a fake encounter.
Naqeebullah murder: Former SSP Rao Anwar claims being 'wrongfully maligned'
"We reached Karachi and took Ishaq's body from a morgue for the burial process," Yousuf explained. "There is no doubt that my brother was innocent as police inquiry committee's findings have also declared that it was an act of extrajudicial killing. A murder case should be registered against SSP Anwar and his team for killing my innocent brother," Yousuf said.
Ishaq had married twice but was childless. He had recently divorced his second wife when he was whisked away. "All the problems started when my brother divorced his second wife," said Yousuf. "But we cannot share anything more about this as it is our first day in Karachi.
The family joined the Pashtun Qaumi Grand Jirga which continued its sit-in on the 10th consecutive day at Sohrab Goth against the killing of Naqeebullah. "We are here at the jirga and will remain here until we get justice," Ishaq's family said.
Senior police officials confirmed receiving the application against SSP Anwar. "I have not seen the application yet and will be able to comment on it today (Wednesday)," said Malir SSP Adeel Hussain Chandio.
The family of another man, Muhammad Sabir, who was killed along with Naqeebullah and Ishaq has also announced to register a case against SSP Anwar and his team for killing Sabir in the fake encounter. "We are busy in consulting the matter with our elders and then we will reach Karachi to register a case," said a member of Sabir's family.
CJP takes notice of 'extrajudicial' killing of Naqeebullah in Karachi
Naqeebullah, Ishaq and Sabir were among four suspected terrorists killed in an alleged exchange of fire with a police team led by the then-Malir SSP Anwar on January 13 in Shah Latif Town.
An inquiry committee formed by the inspector-general (IG) of police had found SSP Anwar and his team guilty after which the SSP and the raiding police party officials went into hiding. SSP Anwar and his associates were later suspended by the government and an FIR was registered against them.
Meanwhile, the Sindh police have yet to arrest SSP Anwar in connection with the Naqeebullah killing case as the three-day deadline given by the Supreme Court expired on Tuesday.
Sources privy to the investigations said that the Sindh police party dispatched to Punjab raided a bungalow in Islamabad for the possible presence of SSP Anwar. However, they did not find him during the raid.