Rappin’ it out with Adil Omar

Published: February 14, 2011
19-year-old Adil Omar is set to launch his debut album featuring hip-hop music. PHOTO: PUBLICITY

ISLAMABAD: “Poppin’ bottles in the ice, like a blizzard when we drink we do it right getting’ slizzard.” This song seems apt to introduce the 19-year-old boy that has taken the music industry by storm. Once termed the dead city, Islamabad has reached yet another milestone with Adil Omar making waves in the music industry.

The country capital is responsible for yet another talented young boy, who has gained acclaim for his impeccable rapping skills. With Hip Hop music breaking the charts around the globe, Islamabad is now ready to make its contribution to the blockbuster industry with Adil Omar.

“I am not musically talented,” says the attractive and talented Omar. “I would say that I am vocally talented and I have a sharp ear for music along with good writing skills,” added the young musician.  After dropping out of high school recently, Omar has devoted most of his time and energy towards his upcoming album Paki Rambo.

Los Angeles, the home to the kings of hip-hop, has a keen ear for talented people and Omar has finally got his break. Leaving for the United States this summer to record his first album, Omar will be  produced by Fredwreck, the man who produced Snoop Dogg, Britney Spears, Justin Beiber, Akon, Cypress Hill and many more.

“I am influenced by hardcore heavy hip-hop but my album is a mixture of some heavy stuff along with some upbeat fun numbers,” says Omar. The tall, well built good looking boy is sure to be a heartthrob the moment his first music video comes out. Without taking the name of his single, Omar disclosed that the director of the famous music video “Like a G6” will be directing his first video. The humble, down-to-earth young musician shows no signs of arrogance or pride.
In fact conducts himself very carefully and much to our surprise is still single.  “I am not good with commitments,” replies Omer shyly. “To be very honest I am too self-absorbed and am too much of a workaholic to devote time for girls. Frankly I do not even understand how Pakistani girls work, there’s too much drama and chaos,” says Omar.

Despite having never enjoyed the formal schooling system and always given preference to his music, Omar still finds himself opposed to music school. “Why waste money learning what other people did, when I can invest that money in recording and doing what I do,” he remarks.

To embark on a risky venture it is important to have supportive parents, and Omar has been lucky to have had his mother fly around with him to Los Angeles for previous recordings, constantly supporting and pushing him forward to achieve his dream. Most in Pakistan can only dream of meeting Akon or Cypress Hill. However, this 19-year-old has found friends in these rappers. “Even though I have received five offers from record labels, I still haven’t found the right match for me. I work with people who are my friends and know me. If someone offers me a good record deal I will take it but as of right now I haven’t signed anything,” says the young artiste.

The young rapper has also signed on to have some guest stars featured in his album but the prudent star did not want to name anyone before time. “I want it to be a surprise,” says Omar mischievously.

The artiste’s music draws very close to his heart as it raises a lot of personal issues which unveil the emotional upheavals of his life. Omar also reveals that he has been heavily influenced by Johnny Cash, Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails.

So ladies watch out as Adil Omar brings hip-hop to Pakistan.

Published in The Express Tribune, February 15th, 2011.

• Revolution
    Feb 15, 2011 - 3:18AM

good going kid! wishing you all the best and more..Recommend

• Feb 15, 2011 - 4:46AM

Thanks Mominah, loved the piece… Just to clear up some things though:

“Paki Rambo” is the title of the song I’m leaking this month off my album “The Mushroom Cloud Effect”. The album isn’t called “Paki Rambo”…

I know Cypress Hill, not Akon. Haven’t met Akon or spoken with Akon. Random, don’t know how that got in there!

And I’m just confused to why Far East Movement’s “Like A G6” lyrics were quoted in the beginning to introduce me? It’s not the type of music I do, and despite sharing the same video director we have nothing in common… And I don’t even drink or party!

Other than that, all is good. Thanks for a great piece. :)

-AdilRecommend

• Saad Khan
    Feb 15, 2011 - 12:49PM

The article has cliches written all over it, couldn’t get past the first few paragraphs. Recommend

• tahir khan
    Feb 15, 2011 - 1:08PM

flattering article generally. the journalist seems to be quite taken by adil omar’s looks.

but i’m surprised she clearly hasn’t done any research.

adil omar is famous for intelligent lyrics and dynamic wordplay. he is famous for being an advocate against drinking unlike other young musicians. adil omar has in fact written songs against alcohol and drug abuse. he has spoken against it in interviews. where on earth did these opening lyrics come from? it’s an insult to his image. it’s also quite shameful that tribune has such poor journalistic standards.

adil omar’s fans want an apology and a retraction.Recommend

• Feb 15, 2011 - 1:25PM

Dudes You Have Written Wrong His album name is THE MUSHROOM CLOUD EFFECT
    not paki rembo its his first singel…………………lolzxRecommend

• tahir khan
    Feb 15, 2011 - 1:27PM

adil omar is famous for his intelligent lyrics and dynamic wordplay. he is also famous for being anti-alcohol and drug abuse. he has even written songs about the same. why were these lyrics, which are not his, used in an article about him? it is mis-representational of him and what he stands for. Recommend

• Bilal Awan
    Feb 15, 2011 - 1:48PM

well the artikle was kool except the start with an irrelevant song was :((Recommend

• Feb 15, 2011 - 2:42PM

Although a well written article, it is factually incorrect. I can tell no research was done and the writer doesn’t seem to have listened to Adil’s music. Adil is a serious and intelligent lyricist who makes hard core rap music. He is not a boozer or a party-oriented artist. I, therefore, don’t understand why that opening was included. Please make amends. Thanks Recommend

• Feb 15, 2011 - 3:03PM

Dear Momina,

Adil is an asset to this country due to the fact that he is doing what others just dream of. He is dedicating his life to a passion and trying to beat world class benchmarks. I wish you had captured this facet effectively in your article.Recommend

• Feb 15, 2011 - 4:12PM

Although a well written article, it is factually incorrect. I can tell no research was done and the writer doesn’t seem to have listened to Adil’s music. Adil is a serious and intelligent lyricist who makes hard core rap music. He is not a boozer or a party-oriented artist. I, therefore, don’t understand why that opening was included. Please make amends. ThanksRecommend

More in Life & Style