Procurement drive: Wheat purchase plan finalised

The minister said additional district collectors had been nominated as focal persons during the procurement drive


APP April 21, 2016
Food Minister Bilal Yasin addressing a press conference at Circuit House. PHOTO: EXPRESS

MULTAN:


Food Minister Bilal Yasin said on Thursday that the government had devised a monitoring policy for wheat procurement.


Talking to newsmen at Circuit House, Yasin said distribution of gunny bags would start on April 25. He said in the first five days gunny bags would be provided only to small farmers owning less than 12.5 acres.


The minister said additional district collectors had been nominated as focal persons during the procurement drive. “Data of 3 million growers is available with the Food Department,” he said. “Telephone numbers of all officials concerned have been displayed at wheat procurement centres. If farmers face any problem, they are urged to call those numbers and voice their concerns.”


The minister said wheat procurement policy had been formed after consultations with farmers’ organisations. “They have termed it a farmer-friendly policy,” he said. He said the government would purchase 4 million metric tonnes of wheat. “Rs130 billion has been earmarked for this purpose. There is no ban on transportation of wheat to other districts. A uniform price has been fixed across the country,” he said.


Published in The Express Tribune, April 22nd, 2016.

E-Publications

Most Read

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ