Nigeria cautious over ‘proof of life’ video

A total of 276 girls were abducted from the Government Girls Secondary School on April 14, 2014


Afp April 15, 2016
PHOTO: AFP

LAGOS:


Nigeria’s government on Thursday said it was studying a “proof of life” video showing 15 of the more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram, as parents and their supporters marked the second anniversary of the kidnapping.


The footage is the first time any of the missing girls have been seen since a previous Boko Haram video in May 2014, when about 100 were seen in Islamic dress reciting the Holy Quran. A total of 276 girls were abducted from the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok, northeast Nigeria, on April 14, 2014. Fifty-seven escaped in the immediate aftermath.


Three mothers and a classmate of the 219 schoolgirls still missing confirmed the identities of the girls in the images first broadcast on CNN on Wednesday night.


A senior government source told AFP it had received the video, which shows the girls in black hijabs, stating their names, that they were abducted from Chibok and saying they were “all well”.


The video was said to have been shot on December 25 last year.


Published in The Express Tribune, April 15th, 2016.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read