Termination orders withdrawn: KESC volte-face - 4,300 reinstated

Talks with political parties conclude; recently sacked workers of the private company to be re-instated.


Irfan Aligi January 24, 2011

KARACHI:


The Karachi Electric Supply Company (KESC) on Sunday unconditionally withdrew orders through which it had sacked 4,300 workers in one fell swoop.

The announcement was made by federal Water and Power Minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf at a press briefing held at the Governor House.

The news sent the protesting throng at the KESC’s headquarters into a joyous rapture.

The minister brandished a letter before the media wherein the Karachi power utility’s chief executive officer has declared that it has taken back its decision for the retrenchment of 4,300 non-core workers it had made on January 19. However, he did not supply a copy of the letter to the media.

The minister said that the retrenchments had caused problems for the citizens. He said that the KESC management and workers should focus on improving their working relationship. He urged the  reinstated employees to report for duty on Monday.

Speaking on the occasion, MQM deputy convener Dr Farooq Sattar said that it was a result of the negotiating committee’s concerted efforts that the sacked KESC workers have now been reinstated.

He conveyed congratulations to the workers on behalf of MQM chief Altaf Hussein, MQM Rabita Committee and MQM labour division.

Soon after the press briefing, the nine-member provincial committee reached the KESC headquarters where the sacked KESC workers had been staging a sit-in for five days.

Addressing the gathering, Sindh Minister for Power Shazia Marri said that it was the unity of the workers that compelled the KESC and the government to ensure the retrenchments orders were withdrawn. She paid tribute to President Asif Zardari for taking immediate notice of the workers sacking.

Sindh Health Minister Dr Sagheer Ahmed Siddiqui said that the workers’ struggle and unshaken confidence had resulted in their reinstatement.

He said MQM chief Altaf Hussein had said on day one that MQM would lead a movement for the restoration of the sacked KESC workers. Today, his words have proven to be true.

Sindh Minister for Katchi Abadis and Spatial Developments Advocate Rafique Engineer said that the sacked workers had compelled the government and all political parties to settle their issue according to their aspirations.

He said that the workers had established the fact that they can launch a movement and achieve success through their unity. Labour Union (CBA) chairman Akhlaque Ahmed praised the government for addressing the issue on a priority basis.

MQM Labour Division chief Nabeel Ahmed Khan and Peoples’ Workers Union general secretary Lateef Mughal congratulated the workers for scoring a grand victory in their struggle.

Published in The Express Tribune, January 24th, 2011.

COMMENTS (24)

Hadi | 11 years ago | Reply Congratulation to All Workers of KESC. Agar koi greeb workers ko bojh samajhatta hay to yeh batian ke har roz kaam kartay howay kon marta hay.Jab se KESC private hoi hay Awam ko iss se kia faida howa hay? Kharbo rupay ka idara sirf 16 arab main kaisa baicha giya? Kia private honay se pahalay itni log shading howa karti thi? Kia awam ke bijli ke bill itnay aatay thay? Chand hazzar lanay walay worker bojh hain to KESC ka CEO jo ke 6500000/- lay raha,Besso Directors jo 600000/ lay rahain hain,Besso G.M jo ke 350000/- lay rahay hain,DGM jo ke 250000/- lay rahay hain Jab ke Managers jo 150000/- lay rahay hain woh kia bojh nahee hain? Agar Ship dobh raha ho tu Lakho lanay walo ko nikalna chahiye yah chand hazzar lanay walo ko nikalna chahiye? Kam se Kam worker ke baray main galat comments denay say pahalay KESC ko aakar tu daikho.
Azhar | 12 years ago | Reply @FF: First you come to field then comment on this issue. You are shareholder not Human
VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Most Read