Man who patrolled streets as milk seller to uncover corrupt cops takes charge as new IG

Published: March 12, 2016

KARACHI: The man, who roamed the streets of Dadu as a milkman to uncover corrupt policemen, has taken charge as the new provincial police chief.

Allah Dino Khawaja was posted as Dadu SSP when he came up with this unique method to gain information on criminals. “During his posting, he started patrolling in the city under the guise of a milk seller and a vegetable supplier,” recalled Laila Ram Manglani, one of his best friends, explaining that Khawaja wanted to target corrupt cops who used to loot people on the streets.

“During his posting in Dadu, he focused mainly on [improving] police performance and suspended several [corrupt] SHOs in the volatile district,” he said. Manglani recalled how Dadu residents took to the streets in his favour when he was transferred out in the 1990s.

Change in command: Graft charges cost Sindh police chief his job

Humble origins

Khawaja, who belongs to a village in Tando Muhammad Khan district, was born in a Muslim family but was raised by a Hindu one. His father, Aziz Khawaja, was a landlord of the area and he was best friends with Daryano Mal, a local Hindu businessman who had no son of his own. Mal requested Aziz to allow him to take care of Khawaja and ended up paying for all his educational and other expenses.

Mal, who hailed from Jamshoro’s Thana Bola Khan area, had Khawaja enrol in Cadet College Petaro, from where he completed his Intermediate in 1982. After that, he completed his Master’s in Criminology from the University of Sindh, Jamshoro.

“Since my childhood, I wanted to become a police officer. I appeared for my Civil Service of Pakistan (CSS) exam in 1986-87 and passed it with flying colours,” Khawaja told The Express Tribune.

His exceptional score landed him a post in the foreign services but Khawaja had his eyes set on becoming a police officer. “I challenged the government decision and they reallocated me,” he said.

In the initial days, he worked in the Punjab as ASP and SP, and was later transferred to Sindh. “After appearing in the CSS exam, I also got admission in NED University in the civil engineering department but I dropped out soon after I passed the CSS exam,” he recalled.

IG’s actions appear tainted with malice, observes SC bench

When he speaks about his success, Khawaja gives credit to Dal, his Hindu mentor who helped fulfil his dreams. “This is a true story of my childhood. I am proud to be a Muslim and I am equally thankful to our Hindu family friend, who bore all my educational expenses and paved the way to make me a good citizen,” said Khawaja.

The cop life

Khawaja has served as SSP in various districts of Sindh and worked in Karachi as DIG in districts South and East, according to Sindh Police records. He also rendered his services in Intelligence Bureau (IB) as a joint director.

He was also posted as DIG for telecommunication and director for Sindh’s anti-corruption department. Khawaja also worked as personal staff officer for two chief ministers, Syed Muzaffar Hussain Shah and Syed Abdullah Shah.

Character certificate

Khawaja is known as one of the most respectable and honest officers in Sindh Police — a fact that led him to become one of the three members of the Supreme Court-appointed inquiry committee probing corruption charges against the outgoing Sindh IG.

Some officials accused Khawaja of embezzling government funds and using that money to establish petrol pumps but he denied these accusations. “This is just [an attempt] to malign me,” he said.

As he takes charge of the province during the crucial targeted operation in Karachi, Khawaja shared his plans. “My first priority will be to get rid of the defamed ‘thana culture’ and appoint police officers on merit,” he said.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 13th, 2016.

• Woz ahmed
    Mar 13, 2016 - 7:37AM

Interesting guy who is passionate about his job, we need more like him.Recommend

• Logic
    Mar 13, 2016 - 9:48AM

Excellent! Pakistan and Sindh, in particular, needs people like him.Recommend

• Hassan
    Mar 13, 2016 - 12:54PM

What a legendRecommend

• Karachiite
    Mar 13, 2016 - 4:49PM

it seems there is hope for karachi and sindh after all…..Recommend

• Observer
    Mar 13, 2016 - 11:30PM

When I was a kid, I remember he used to be the SP Sindh Police in Larkana in the late 1990s and the criminals used to shiver in fear. Recommend

• Observer
    Mar 13, 2016 - 11:31PM

@Karachiite:
    Karachi is in Sindh. So do not try to racially divide the city. Recommend

• Jamal
    Mar 14, 2016 - 12:44AM

Good to know about his background. Hope he will get milk prices down to normal in Karachi.Recommend

• Karachiwala
    Mar 14, 2016 - 3:44AM

Bit confused profile. He did his Intermediate in 1982. Appeared in CSS in 1986-87, drop out from NED before he graduated. He must have enrolled in NED after his Intermediate in 1982 for sure. Also in order to sat for CSS he had done some degree like BA/BSc or BCom, which degree is that? The only way he could have done this is he was enrolled at two differnt locations/institute. Once he finished his degree between 1982-86, he sat for CSS and cleared. In oredr to avoid any legal complications he with drew from NED. He started his career as a fraud, for those who crticised me should know that its illegal to continue studies at more than one institute you need to canel your enrolment once you get admitted at other institute.
    Thsi is not the first time an IG has been appointed, we have seen same stereo type fan fare after every new arrival, Haider Jamali, Shahid Nadeem Baloch etc etc. At the end same old story. His degrees are original but the procedure he acquired are no less than criminal acts. Recommend

• Rehman
    Mar 14, 2016 - 11:06AM

@Karachiwala: Report says “After appearing in the CSS exam, I also got admission in NED University in the civil engineering department but I dropped out soon after I passed the CSS exam”, at that time, you needed 4 years to complete Masters, When he appeared in CSS in 1986-87, his Masters would have been already completed. Then he appeared for the CSS exam and while waiting for the result he got admission in NED, and after passing CSS, he quit his engineering, I don’t think something is wrong with that.Recommend

• AHMAD
    Mar 14, 2016 - 11:27AM

@Karachiwala.
    Your tone shows that you are not willing to recognize merit from Rural Sindh.Recommend

• Pakistani
    Mar 14, 2016 - 11:35AM

Unfortunately, as it has been happening in the past, he will be ‘posted’ out when he eventually starts stepping on the tails of the people who work with the people at the top.Recommend

• Pakistani
    Mar 14, 2016 - 7:05PM

He is a very nice police officer..Hope for a good police culture in all sindh..Recommend

• Sajida
    Mar 15, 2016 - 3:53AM

So happy the police has people like him.Recommend

• Karachiwala
    Mar 15, 2016 - 4:07AM

@Rehman: Your are not eligible to enter NED once you started another degree. he did his HSC in 1982 and eneterd in NED as 82-83 batch, he was my course mate for your information. One cann ot enetr or eligible to apply when he/she wishes for. He was in NED and quit without completing his B.E. Thats the whole point, he was enrolled simalteneously at other institute in order to get another graduate degree to sit for CSS and thats illegal. Recommend

• brar
    Mar 15, 2016 - 6:05PM

@Karachiwala: I know that a boy was working as Telephone operator in the Indian Posts and Telegraphs in 1980 and also persuing his MBBS degree in Govt Rajindera Medical College Patiala and there was a strike in the college and he was rusticated for two years and some also made complaint with the Telephone department as his immediate officer was a noble man he advised him to resign and he resigned but again joined Rail Mail Service and worked there for two years and then resigned and completed his studies, so every thing is possibleRecommend

• Srinivasulu Mekala
    Mar 15, 2016 - 7:48PM

Does not look like a story coming out of Pakistan. Recommend

• Karachiwala
    Mar 16, 2016 - 7:57AM

@brar: You have missed the point, he was enrolled at 2 differnt institutes at the same time, which is illegal. I am not at all concerned what happened in India, Whilel I was in NED my original FSc marks sheet was held by the uni and it wasn’t “easily” possible to get admission else where. In case one acquired a duplicate marks sheet and appiled in Dawood Engg. he/she has to obtain a NOC from NED that he/she is not enrolled in NED. from the look of this I am pretty sure that he was enrolled at Sindh Uni as well at the same time, because of him a deserving sindhi student missed an opportunity. Recommend

More in Sindh