No Bollywood dreams for Mahira Khan

Published: September 23, 2012

Mahira’s future plans include one project from India and a few local projects. PHOTO: FILE

NEW DEHLI: Actor Mahira Khan, known in India for her role in Shoaib Mansoor’s Bol, is satisfied with her small screen work at home. Even while many local actors have gone and carved a niche in the multi-billion dollar Indian film industry, she says she has no such aspirations.

“I don’t want to be a Bollywood star for sure because the kind of stardom that we get from Pakistan, I am very happy with that. So becoming a Bollywood actress is not something I am aspiring to do,” Mahira said.

Actors like Salma Agha, Zeba Bakhtiar, Somy Ali, Meera, Veena Malik and actor Ali Zafar are among those who have pursued their love for acting across the border.

The Indian film industry is growing by leaps and bounds and the local film industry is not as big but Mahira is nonchalant. She says our television industry is stronger and has given her a chance to play strong characters.

The 27-year-old essayed the role of Khirad Ehsan in TV serial drama “Humsafar”, which became one of the most widely-known dramas of the Pakistani TV industry. She was praised for her performance by critics and fans alike.

“Humsafar” was bigger than any local movie and it did extremely well. “It was maddening to see the reaction of both critics and fans, so I thought let’s just give it a break for some time and then take another project,” she said.

“Also in Pakistan, movies are not bigger as our industry is not that big. One movie coming out in five years is not tremendous. What we have is TV, which is at par. Stars [in Pakistan] are TV stars, so I am enjoying that and honing my skills as an actor,” she said.

The actor was born in Karachi and pursued her higher education in Santa Monica Community College, Los Angeles. Her first tryst with showbiz came as a video-jockey when she was 16 years old. She had no dreams of becoming an actor.

But Indian dancing diva Madhuri Dixit’s performance and dance moves in the 1989 film Ram Lakhan, tempted her towards the art.

“I became an actress only because of Madhuri Dixit. I was watching Ram Lakhan and her song “Bada Dukh Dina O Ramji” was coming. The moment I saw it, I told my mother, ‘I want to do it, I want to be on TV’,” said Mahira.

She was recently in New Delhi to attend the opening of PFDC-The Boulevard, a one-stop shop for Pakistani designer wear in India.

“I don’t feel like I am in some other country or neighbouring country. I just feel like I am in another city. Starting from the cab driver to the immigration officers to the truck driver, it’s so so warm to be here. I hope this remains with me every time,” she said.

A fan of Ranbir Kapoor and Vidya Balan, she also feels happy that “India is becoming a hub of good scripts”.

“Films like Rockstar and Ishqiya brought a revolution in the Hindi film industry. There are many movies today that are nicely written. I love the kind of cinema Vishal Bhardwaj makes,” she said.

“When it comes to stars, Ranbir Kapoor is my favourite. The way he has managed to mould his career at such a young age is just unbelievable. Also Vidya Balan is just too good. For me, she is an actor,” she added.

Mahira said her future plans include one project from India and a few Pakistani projects — but she did not reveal any details.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 24th, 2012.

Like Life & Style on Facebook and follow at @ETLifeandStyle for the latest in fashion, gossip, entertainment

• Farah
    Sep 23, 2012 - 9:04PM

Thats the way to go Mahira. You dont need to go India. Your success here in Pakistan is certain and InshALLAH you will be more and more successful with the passage of time. We dont want to see you in India. By the way rumors are regarding her DIVORCE what is the latest guys ?????????

• ayesha
    Sep 23, 2012 - 11:20PM

Bollywood doesn’t deserve Mahira…She is the best,love her :)Recommend

• Asad
    Sep 23, 2012 - 11:29PM

She will come and work in India if she gets good offers. I haven’t watched Bol , but if she is any good , she is going to do really well in bollywood. Once successful in bollywood, she would know what real stardom is and would fall prey to that. I wish her a great career at home here and in Bollywood as well.

• anonymus
    Sep 23, 2012 - 11:42PM

@Farah:
    India is not acceptable, should go to middle east and will get better paid job there!
    In pakistan all our forefathers died as Indian why such a hatred against india?

• Dr Mishra
    Sep 24, 2012 - 1:10AM

WELCOME TO INDIA, love

With your genuine warmth towards India, and an appreciation of the best that comes out of it- like Ishquian- you are the kind of Pakistani for whom the border is irrelevant.

If there were more of you, we would hand out visas for free at Wagah.

The trouble is with uncouth IPL players like Afridi and with Ali Azmat, who earn crores in India and go back and badmouth it.

ps- I am sure you are aware that your idol Madhuri and her Indian-American cardiac surgeon boyfriend have relocated back to India !!!!!!

• Jameel ur Rasheed
    Sep 24, 2012 - 2:23AM

Well they all say like this when they are planning to land in India. I mean all of them. Soon enough you will see her in some Indian drama or movie.Recommend

• shaq
    Sep 24, 2012 - 9:51AM

She will come to india for sure.

Theese are just withdrawl symptoms.

• from India
    Sep 24, 2012 - 12:34PM

Mahira – Please refrain from coming to India, if you get offers similar to what Veena and Meera gets. But, if you get to work with a good art film director or substance based movie, then don’t hesitate. Its a request !!

• saad
    Sep 24, 2012 - 1:07PM

nothing worth writing home about her performance in bol.
    btw, she should improve her dialogue delivery. seems to chew rather than speak with a flow.Recommend

• Pakboy
    Sep 24, 2012 - 2:30PM

india’s junk industry isn’t of status for Mahira. She should explore others Like, Iranian, Korean and Turkish industries

• not impressed
    Sep 24, 2012 - 6:43PM

@Farah:
    i don’t think her DIVORCE is anyone’s issue except hers and her husband’s.Recommend

• Sep 24, 2012 - 8:12PM

Every one knows her in Pakistan and whats else she needs. They don’t respect you that’s what so far we have seen over there.Recommend

• Shahid
    Sep 24, 2012 - 8:59PM

She is overrated.Recommend

• Sep 25, 2012 - 12:13AM

when most cinema houses are burnt down she will eventually reach bollywood

• Sep 25, 2012 - 12:33AM

Oho! looks like someone is not getting the right offer.She’s still young.She has got all the time to impress the Indian side and get a better offer.It’s the big dilemma of Pakistani showbiz industry.

Unless they visit India ,the Hajj is not performed.Recommend

• Roy
    Sep 25, 2012 - 12:43AM

Strange how Pakistani actors & cricketers, who wear their patriotism on their sleeves when in Pakistan, will do anything to be part of Bollywood & IPL respectively. I guess this boils down to the lure of money as also the desire to have a ball while in India.

• Sep 25, 2012 - 9:10AM

Really appreciate that .. still we have artists like Mahira khan who love to work in our own Country :)

• Raza Khan
    Sep 25, 2012 - 10:57AM

Go to Bollywood & make us proud!

• To be ...
    Sep 25, 2012 - 4:01PM

@ Raza Khan

What you will proud for ??

• bharat
    Sep 25, 2012 - 5:08PM

We have been waiting for you Mahira for so many years and you refused to work in Bollywood

Well , i am glad that you are prioritising Lollywood over Bollywood

• Rani
    Sep 26, 2012 - 4:32PM

She has a child and is pregnant with another one. So I don’t think that she is young enough, but she is still in the limelight. Normally in india, when actresses become mothers (Like Aish) they are not worth working as heroines. Why are Indians dying to have her? Anyways she is so pretty!

• urooba shahbaz
    Oct 7, 2012 - 12:58PM

thanks my faurate this is called pakistani