QUETTA: After the alleged arrest of three Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) members from Karachi on Monday, their relatives and members of the Voice for Baloch Missing Persons (VFBMP) have claimed that these men were in fact students, and had been abducted from Quetta in mid January 2012.
On Monday, Central Investigation Department (CID) Senior Superintendent Police Chaudhry Alsam had presented Abdul Ghaffar Bugti, Faisal Bugti, and Shamsuddin Bugti, before the media after having allegedly arrested them from Sher Shah area of Karachi. The police claimed that they had also recovered nine rockets and 550 rounds of ammunition from their possession, which they intended to provide criminals operating in Lyari.
Voice for Baloch Missing Persons (VFBMP), an organisation striving for the recovery of missing Baloch persons, said that the three suspects which police claimed to have during the Lyari operation were missing persons and had been whisked away near University of Balochistan in mid of January 2012.
According to VFBMP, the names of these men had been included in a list of 60 missing persons which had been submitted to the Supreme Court at its last hearing on missing persons in, held in Quetta last week.
“They were enrolled at University of Balochistan and were picked up in front of the varsity. The relatives recorded the statements before the Supreme Court Treasury Bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhary,” said VFBMP chairman Nasrullah Baloch.
He said that the arrest of these three people appeared to be staged since the Chief Justice has already directed police to submit a progress report on the recovery of the men within two weeks. “They belonged to the Bugti tribe and were students. Instead of producing them before the Supreme Court, the authorities concerned have presented them before SSP CID Chaudhry Aslam, and in-charge of Lyari operation.”
According to the relatives, the three men had been abducted from Quetta. However, they refused to provide any further statements.
Nasrullah Baloch quoting the relatives said the family had also filed a constitutional petition in Balochistan High Court for their recovery.
Earlier in the day, Jamhoori Watan Party provincial chief Shahzain Bugti too had claimed the three were not part of the BLA but were students and had been abducted on January 18 from Quetta.
More in BalochistanFour-year performance: All is well, says Sindh’s CM