Serendipity: Little-known waterfall enchants visitors in Shingraie valley

Published: April 20, 2012

SWAT:

Swat valley is famous for its dazzling beauty and breathtaking scenery with snow-clad mountains, spectacular waterfalls, magical lakes and springs and streams of crystal-clear water.

Though there are many fascinating places which attract foreign and domestic tourists, there are a greater number of scenic spots yet to be explored by visitors to Swat valley.

Shingro Dand waterfall is a unique combination of serenity and stunning beauty. As one penetrates deep inside Shingraie valley, a spectacular waterfall surrounded by mountains comes into view practically out of the blue, taking one by surprise.

Its charm is unforgettable, its attraction impossible to express in words, according to a visitor.

“This is why people call the scenery mesmerising. It’s the perfect place to unwind, said Zareen Nawab, who was sitting at the base of the waterfall with friends from Mingora.

“Unfortunately, even I did not know about its existence, even though I live in Swat,” he added.

The waterfall flows into a small lake, presenting a spectacular view for visitors. Even though as yet undiscovered by outsiders, small groups of locals can be seen enjoying the waterfall.

The majority of visitors come on motorbikes, because there is no proper road leading to the lake.

“I’m wondering why such an amazing place is unknown to our people,” said Nauman Khan. “We reached the spot by traversing a steep dirt track”. There should be a proper link road to access this place because it is a perfect tourist spot, comparable with the most beautiful places in the world, he added.

Residents from nearby areas visit the waterfall on weekends to enjoy the cool breeze.

“The waterfall is the most beautiful place in the area and the environment is very soothing,” Zahoor Ali, told The Express Tribune. A resident of Mingora, he was picnicking by the lake with his classmates.

Shingro Dand has great touristic potential. Located at an hour’s drive from Mingora, the Pakistan Tourism Development Corporation should focus on the venue and introduce it to tourists.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 20th, 2012.

• Pragmatist
    Apr 20, 2012 - 7:32AM

Beautiful !! If only religion is kept within the confines of the home, Pakistan could make billions in tourism. Flaunting religion only leads to hardship and ruin.

• J.Ahmed
    Apr 20, 2012 - 9:13AM

Can anybody guide me how to reach there?

• Sonya
    Apr 20, 2012 - 9:21AM

love to go there – i am from a minority sect readable from my ID Card and I want a guarantee that I wouldn’t be killed.

• Dee
    Apr 20, 2012 - 10:30AM

SubhanAllah

• SJ
    Apr 20, 2012 - 10:51AM

@Sonya:
    Sorry Sonya, you have better chances of going to next mission to outer space but we can’t guarantee your safety in your own country at this moment. Please try again in next 50 years time.

• JS
    Apr 20, 2012 - 10:51AM

The warped and demented version of Islam being practiced and supported in this country has just about destroyed the moral, social, intellectual, economic, and political fabric of this beautiful country. Imagine this, thailand makes more money (approx $30 billion a year) from tourism than Pakistan makes from its entire textile exporting industry (approx $13-14billion).

• SJ
    Apr 20, 2012 - 10:52AM

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing

• truth
    Apr 20, 2012 - 11:16AM

@Sonya, Swati people are not harmful they are peaceful and hospitable, if you look before militancy you will find the truth. during 2007 to 2009 a game was played on the soil where militants were installed from outside. presently there is a perfect peace in Swat valley and you can come and visit every location with guarantee

• truth
    Apr 20, 2012 - 11:19AM

@ J. Ahmed. this waterfall located closer to Mingora, there is another town Manglawar some 8 kilometers away from Mingora. you can reach through Mangalwar to the waterfall in 30 minutes.

• Ziyar
    Apr 20, 2012 - 1:15PM

its worth promotion. PTDC should open eyes

• Pk
    Apr 20, 2012 - 2:48PM

Let the place stay unknown. If more people had known about this it wouldv’e become a garbage dump.

• Khan
    Apr 20, 2012 - 4:56PM

@Sonya:
    There are thousands of Pakistanis from minority sect in KPK who are children of this soil. I guess you might not be aware of the unique Kalasha People in Kalash Valley Chirtal?.
    No one check someone’s religious belief or National ID cards while traveling in side Pakistan.
    But if you need guarantee for your life that is all together another topic as I’m sure you can’t guarantee my safety either while I live in London.
    P.S if you’re not from KPK and want to visit it .. I recommend visiting one of Peshawar’s oldest Catholic church located on The Mall Peshawar Cantt, Its very huge and unique thing about this church is that it side by side with biggest mosque of the city Masjid Derwesh.

There are 45 Mandirs, 15 Gurdwaras and 29 Churches across KPK.

• Imran Mohammad
    Apr 20, 2012 - 4:59PM

@Sonya, I understand your concern. I am a somewhat practicing Muslim but no logic has ever convinced me as to why my ID should depict my religion. That does not have any influence on my faith, good or bad. It is one of many things which we don’t understand about our ‘Land of Pure’.

• Apr 20, 2012 - 7:14PM

Very good article.

Thank you very much “The Express Tribune” and Fazal Khaliq.

Tayyab MirRecommend

• Meheryar Shaikh
    Apr 20, 2012 - 8:09PM

I’d advise the author to look up the dictionary meaning of ‘serendipity’ and to avoid confusing it with ‘serene’.

• vigilant
    Apr 20, 2012 - 8:17PM

@Khan:
    Well said…..

@sonya
    i am from majority sect…..but no one can guarantee my life…..

• Nayab
    Apr 20, 2012 - 8:58PM

Soon we are having trip to the same place. love it

• Doosam
    Apr 20, 2012 - 9:57PM

How safe is Swat these days? I went to Hunza and Skardu last year when G-B region was safe, now even G-B is strife with religious/sectarian violence. So is Swat any safer than G-B and worth taking the risk?

• Swati
    Apr 21, 2012 - 5:31PM

Many tourists are coming to Swat. there is perfect safety and serenity. Some 20 members of European Union countries visited it recently so one can judge peace here

• SAJJAD KHAN
    May 6, 2012 - 2:15PM

@Sonya:
    I think Swat is today most safest place in Pak, even than Islamabad… and as u r minority so there are many minorities living in Swat even they were safe taliban era. so u’ld keep ur visit there