More than 30,000 students under 13 years of age will be unable to take the Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education (BISE) starting on March 3.
After the BISE decision in December 2011, students less than 13 years were barred from taking the ninth grade exams. However, 30,000 such students were registered and most of them were issued roll number slips.
BISE Multan Chairman Chaudhry Rasheed on Wednesday directed the officials to cancel all such roll number slips issues to students younger than 13 years. Talking to The Express Tribune, he said that the directions in this regard had been issued to all public and government schools.
He said that the government had also earlier issued instructions to all education boards to check the ages of all the students before registering them for the examinations.
The chairman told The Tribune that the board had also directed the schools not to accept children younger than 13 years into ninth class.
He said the decision was taken to set a minimum age for students to attend high school. “Experts were consulted and they suggested 13 years and above as the age of maturity,” he said.
While more than 30,000 students will now have to wait for at least a year to be get admission into ninth grade, the BISE Multan, one the other hand, has decided to conduct examination through the online system, despite a judicial commission decision stopping it for the time being.
The commission on December 8, 2011 had directed the boards not to conduct exams through both online and manual system until the staff had been trained in this regard.
Ilyas Siddiqui, the BISE Multan public relation officer, told The Tribune that no such instructions had been received from the government.
Published in The Express Tribune, March 1st, 2012.
More in PunjabFogging, spray: ‘Keep your machines ready’