Why these attacks against me?

Published: February 7, 2011

The writer is executive editor of Geo News and writes for Daily Jang

I am an old target of Mr Khaled Ahmed. He often misquotes me and I don’t know the reason why. May be he was angry with me in 2002 when I stopped writing for The Friday Times and started writing for the Weekly Independent edited by my brother Amir Mir. He has been making allegations against me for many years and every year he changes the style of his allegations. This time he has misquoted me in his column of February 6 titled “Desperately seeking liberal-fascist”. He started by saying: According to Hamid Mir in Jang (Jan 20, 2011) a ‘liberal fascist is he who supports US drone attacks on Pakistani territory, opposes the Islamic articles of the 1973 Constitution, supports Musharraf in his rule and is now supporting Zardari and is in the habit of designating his opponents as friends of the Taliban. The extremists and liberals are in the same category because they both don’t accept the constitution of Pakistan.’

First of all, I had actually written that January 20 column after my conversation with some people who were asking me why I condemned Salmaan Taseer’s assassination and why I support Asma Jahangir. One can clearly understand that I always supported liberals like Asma Jahangir, but I could not tolerate the liberal fascism of Musharraf and his cronies. I am also proud of my writings against a religious extremist dictator like General Ziaul Haq.

I had actually quoted a doctor from Houston in my column and it was him who had said that liberal fascists had supported Musharraf in the past and were now supporting Zardari. For the record, I had never said these things on my own. Also, I think that President Zardari is a liberal but not a liberal fascist. I have always criticised religious extremists and liberal-fascists in my columns. But I have never condemned liberals because I think both Jinnah and Dr Muhammad Iqbal were also liberals and am proud to be their follower.

I don’t know why Khaled Ahmed missed all of this in my column. I would like to invite his attention towards the book Liberal Fascism written by American Journalist Jonah Goldberg, published in 2008. Mr Goldberg wrote the history of liberal fascism from Mussolini to the American Left and declared Hillary Clinton as a liberal fascist. If an American journalist can use the term liberal fascism then the Pakistani media can also make comparisons between religious extremists and liberal-fascists.

Mr Ahmed also mentioned the name of former ISI official Khalid Khawaja in his column in a very vague way. He lacked courage to make an allegation openly because he knew that I served a legal notice last year on his former newspaper when it published a one-sided and baseless story against me. Some secret hands used Khawaja’s son against me and a newspaper claimed, after three weeks of his assassination, that I was involved in his murder. A complaint was lodged with the Islamabad police, and then an application against me in the courts, but nothing was proved. Many TV channels ran shows against me on the behest of those who were not happy with me for my columns and shows on missing persons. It was amazing that, on the one hand, a religious extremist like Zaid Hamid was declaring me to be an American CIA agent while on the other some were trying to establish my links with the Taliban. Some jealous colleagues said that I am a double agent because I have interviewed both Osama bin Laden and Colin Powell. My question is why do religious extremists and liberal fascists make allegations without any logic?

A special inquiry committee of the Rawalpindi Islamabad Union of Journalists (RIUJ) and another inquiry committee set up by the Jang Group and Geo investigated all allegations against me. Geo President Imran Aslam declared me innocent. The RIUJ said I was a victim of a conspiracy and also pointed fingers at some secret hands who were trying to blackmail me. Unfortunately, now it seems, Khaled Ahmed is, by his allegations, doing the same thing as these ‘secret hands’, and without providing a shred of evidence.

Published in The Express Tribune, February 8th, 2011.

• Malik
    Feb 7, 2011 - 11:08PM

Did you mange to finalise your story on that audio tape? You know what I mean.Recommend

• Nadir El-Edroos
    Feb 7, 2011 - 11:20PM

Wow, to prove his point Mr. Mir is quoting Jonah Goldberg. An extreme rightwing author and journalist who is frequently seen on Fox News, especially with Glenn Beck! He supported the Iraq War and Colonialism, especially African colonialism as something “civilizing” and argues that America should intervene more aggressively to solve African problems. In his writings he has frequently alluded to a more aggressive stance in relation to Pakistan, and justified the use of special forces raids in FATA as essential to US security.

Mr. Goldberg’s book, is a sorry read of historical manipulation, trying to paint the Obama administration as some new age Mussolini, trying to shape America into a western European socialist state. The context within which he uses the term is irrelevant to people in Pakistan!

Perhaps you should question who exactly is using the term “liberal fascism” before you start labeling people in Pakistan with that title. Recommend

• Huma
    Feb 7, 2011 - 11:31PM

Well done Hamid! A perfect response to liberal fascists..
    No one takes Khaled Ahmed seriously anyway!Recommend

• Malik
    Feb 7, 2011 - 11:44PM

Geo President Imran Aslam declared me
    innocent.

Of course he did. He’s your employer, hardly an objective party. Where are the details of this investigation for an impartial party to verify?Recommend

• Nadeem Hussain
    Feb 7, 2011 - 11:46PM

This is a convincing and powerful defense from Hamid Mir except for the opening paragraph wherein he has stated that Mr. Khaled Ahmed might have been offended with him for having shifted his (Mir’s) column from TFT to Independent. Khaled Ahmed would have been more than happy with Hamid’s decision to shift his column because ideologically speaking he is poles apart from Hamid Mir. If Hamid Mir had written that Najam Sethi was offended with him and had been behind Khaled Ahmed’s bitterness, this argument would have sounded more convincing because Khaled and Najam have this ‘liberal fascist connection’. Even otherwise, Mir’s obvious hints in this column about Khaled’s links to agencies are an indigestible argument. Recommend

• ishaq
    Feb 7, 2011 - 11:55PM

First of all it was a pleasant surprise to see hamid mir’s article in Express Tribune.
    I think that a Journalist should be a neutral Person and he should not
    be confused whether he is Liberal or Religious. A Journalist’s Main Job
    is Report without any Biasness.
    The second point is that at present time the religious extremists have been proven
    more dangerous to Pakistan. Recommend

• faraz
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:05AM

Well, its unfair if Khalid Sahib quoted something which Hamid Sahib never uttered. Both sides have the right to disagree with each other but dont use these ridiculous sounding labels like liberal fascist or taliban apologist. Hiliary has the government apparatus working for her, similarly taliban are those who have guns in their hands. You dont become a taliban or a fascists by writing columns. Recommend

• Priya Chatterjee
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:08AM

Khaled Ahmed, being a regular reader of yours, it is painful for me when i see an intellectual of your caliber to be involved in such petty exercises of picking and choosing one liners from the urdu press, translating them for TFT as nuggets from Urdu Press in English and reproducing them for those to read who in the first place chose to ignore them. From a person having high intellectual credentials, we expect ideas originating from your agreeable rational thought pattern. Plz stop indulging in this futile meaningless translation job. Recommend

• Khalil Sheikh
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:13AM

The absurdity in this column is the pointless argument of Khaled Ahmed being annoyed with Hamid Mir for having chosen his (Mir’s) brother Amir Mir’s Weekly Independent over Friday Times since Khaled Ahmed has recently written the foreword to Amir Mir’s latest book Talibanization of Pakistan. Why would Khaled have an issue with his fellow “liberal fascist” Amir Mir? Recommend

• Feb 8, 2011 - 12:13AM

He said, she said! Journalism at its best Recommend

• Nida Jamal
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:14AM

Well-done Hamid MirRecommend

• Saima Mohsin
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:16AM

OMG! i cant believe this! Hamid Mir is Amir Mir’s brother! For real? Seriously? I wonder if Hamid has ever bothered to read his bro!Recommend

• Farhan Jamil
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:21AM

i dont remember Hamid Mir writing for the TFT on a regular basis at all. This reminds me of the Journalistic Tale of Two Brothers by Dr Zafar Altaf for the (late) South Asia Tribune (SAT) which Shaheen Sehbai used to edit. Recommend

• Q
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:24AM

Aww such a baby he sounds in the very first line of this note.. what a poor quality writing .. up to expectations Mr. Hamid Mir.Recommend

• Arifq
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:26AM

Mr. Hamid Mir your love for the Taliban is not hidden to any one nor is your biased cleavage against everything liberal so please do not disrespect the memories of Jinnah and Iqbal, had these two gentlemen been alive today you and your sidekick Mr. Ansar Abbasi would have been calling them anti-state and stooges of the West. If some are agents to the “Western agencies” then many have secured their careers through the infamous Pakistani agencies. Recommend

• Natasha Ali
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:28AM

Smart move Capital Talkie! Why did you have to anchor your troubled boat with Amir Mir’s name who is actually a liberal fascist from your parameter! Recommend

• Salman Raza
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:35AM

Mr. Hamid Mir,

Shouldnt an enquiry be done by a neutral person…how can a person from the same organisation hold an inquiry against its own employee and unanimously declare him innocent.I heard the tapes and it does sound like you..

Shouldnt the Azaad Adliya hold an inquiry.

Just a thought.Recommend

• UmEr
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:43AM

And that Audio tape that was released by the ISI fanpage on fb, wasn’t that you?Recommend

• Zubair Torwali
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:48AM

A poor defense wriiten very poorly. If an American jouranlist uses the term liberal fascist in what way it legitimizes the use by those who are always there to rouse anti-Americanism. I admire Hamid Mir for a few credentials but over the year he has grown more absurd in his writings.

Both Hamid Mir and Aamir Mir have very different outlooks from each other. Hamid Mir has some scars in his bag but he cannot show them openly because of the pressure and fear of some visibly invisible forces.

The term liberal fascist is usually used to woo the religious right who is always there to use religion for political gains. The extremists have taken guns while the ‘leberal fascists’ have never done so.

Drone attacks have nothing common with the leberal fascists. Even many tribesmen who even do not know the term support these attacks.

Actually it is the state of Pakistan which is playing a double game with its people and with American as well.

Media is never free in Pakistan. It is reigned by the deep state. Just take the example of Wikileaks. Based on these cables a media hype was created by the electronic media against the politicians but some of the big criminals were altogether forgiven despite the shameful disclosures of their tactics and whims to dethrone the eletcted government and calling the shots in Pakistan. Recommend

• Dr. Aslam Ghani
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:51AM

1- Hamid sahib, you are really what we can call is, a “Clever journalist”. You always mention these names as, “SECRET HANDS” and some times as “KAALI BHAIRAIN”. Why dont you just tell the names of the people involved in these henious conspiracies against you?? As you said that i am an innocent.

2- You have a wonderful access to Print as well as electronic media, so why are you just generalizing these terms.

3- Just speak clear and straight forward, and mention the names of these people, other wise there is no one to trust you this is journalism brother facts and evidences are given importance only, nothing else.

4- And for your kind information Hamid Sahib, Rahimullah Yousafzai had also interviewed Osama, and Robert Fisk had interviewed “Osama-Bin-Ladin” Thrice. They had never been blamed as “Double Agents” then why you.Recommend

• Malik
    Feb 8, 2011 - 1:16AM

I served a legal notice last year on
    his former newspaper when it published
    a one-sided and baseless story against
    me.

Yet you never took the legal process forward against the newspaper and his owner the late governor Punjab. Recommend

• ali
    Feb 8, 2011 - 1:54AM

what are these ‘secret hands’? everyone talks about secret hands but hamid mir you never say who are these secret hands. at ‘whose’ behest do people attack you?Recommend

• Feb 8, 2011 - 1:58AM

why does Express Tribune give space to someone who works for a rival company?Recommend

• Junaid Ali Khan
    Feb 8, 2011 - 2:11AM

Poor justification.Recommend

• ali,,,,,,
    Feb 8, 2011 - 2:55AM

HAMID MIR sahab after going through your today column i come to the point that,despite having bold steps scratching to shed off the blame and sever allegation put on your shoulder by one of your counterpart , this article reveals much of your gestation towards the concept about liberal fascist,socialism,communism and whatsoever of western political ideologies,you are slipped in the mid way failing to identify the main stance of liberal fascist and for what purpose it has been coined?? it is a propaganda fabricated by extreme right clad of scholars in the west ..just to contain socialism,liberal democrats,the achievements and accelerating pace of green parties politics,anti war coalitions, in the west…i hope your way of trying to balance yourself in between the religious extremists and progressive element in the country is below the mark,,,,,,,it should be dashed to the gound,,,you are a good and powerful media icon and must preach whosoever living in this country is patriotic to this country mUst have full citizen rights without any consideration of cast,religion,geography,and race,,,if saeda warsi can become chairperson of conservative party wy we shouldn,t give chances to minorities the same chance,,,religious matters should be dealt privately and state should not be incarnated as a religious entity,,,,,,prove yourself to more to become original HAMID MIR,,,,,Recommend

• moz
    Feb 8, 2011 - 3:07AM

Did anybody even knew Hamid Mir before Musharraf freed the media?Recommend

• faraz
    Feb 8, 2011 - 3:25AM

I am against all kinds of religious extremists, i want amendments in blashphemy law, i dont believe that Jinnah wanted an islamic state, so clearly i am one of the liberal fascists. But we must admire Hamid’s role in opposing Zia. Hamid openly criticized Zia, and was physically harrassed by the goons of IJT who were given a free hand to terrorise the opponents of Zia in university campuses. I wouldnt have believed that but my father is a witness to one of such incidents. Recommend

• Truthseeker
    Feb 8, 2011 - 3:48AM

It was interesting to read Hamid Mir defending himself in the same paper, where couple of days ago a volley was thrown at him.Let us hope that other papers follow this as a good tradition.
    Let us go to Jonah Goldberg and see what does he mean by ‘Facist’. Goldberg opines that ‘Fascism’ is the modern reincarnation of ‘Heretic’.And heretic is a person who holds beliefs opposed to pulpit’s dogma.So Khaled Ahmed is heretic (modern facist) because he courageously opposes the dogmatic interpretration of blasphemy laws being interpreted and imposed by the invertebrate politicians and bigoted mullahs.In the present tense environment of polarisation, the proponents of dogmatic Islam don’t have the courage to use the terminology of ‘Liberal Heretics’,and are taking the shelter of ‘Liberal Fascists’.
    Jonah Goldberg borrowed this terminology from science fiction writer H.G.Wells.The interesting thing about this borrowing is that, in an interview Goldberg accepted it , whereas in book introduction he denies it.I have not heard about Hamid Mir’s (alleged) taped conversation linked with (late) Khaled Khawja’s murder, but I have read his denial so I ‘ll not comment on it.
    After this ‘Liberal Fascist’ cotroversy in Pakistan, it is quite possible that few Number 2 publishers will print copies of “Liberal Fascism’, so Goldberg’s American publisher should make a note of it.
    This book is based on distorted events and re-created prsonalities in order to take revenge from liberal forces in the world. Jonah Goldberg believes that Jean-Jacques Rousseau is the precursor to Facism.Rousseau is the one who gave the humanity the flavour of freedom with his immortal words,’Man was born free,and he is in chains everywhere’.
    In this case even Hamid Mir will be a ‘Liberal Facist’,because he claims to be a liberal and his writings/programmes for missing persons and FATA area are influenced by Rousseau’s writings.

Only time will prove/disprove the allegation of ‘double agent’,and none of us will be there to read the verdict of history.For now let us keep on watching the trampolinists performing in Pakistani media as the show never gets boring.Recommend

• saleem muhammad
    Feb 8, 2011 - 4:27AM

Though Hamid Mir did not mention anything here about Dr Aafia Siddiqi but let me just ask him a question about her. In today’s Capital Talk Program, mother of Aafia Siddiqi was showing Passports of Aafia siddiqi. This was to prove that she is a Pakistani national. One thing i noticed is that all these Passports are Handwritten with Photos of her pasted to it. I have made my Passport in 2006 and our directorate of Passport and immigration has shifted from Manual to Digital Passports well before 2006. This means that she should have other travel documents (may be US passport) to travel. May be i am wrong!Recommend

• karachiite
    Feb 8, 2011 - 4:31AM

Journalism or personal agendas this is becoming a glorified social networking siteRecommend

• Nasir
    Feb 8, 2011 - 4:35AM

People please can’t you invent a new word? Do not call somebody a liberal fascist because these two terms do not go together. A person can either be liberal or fascist not both at the same time. I know you hate them(whoever they are) but that just makes you look bad. Also tell your leaders in the media to refrain from doing that. You have a brain! can’t you invent something that makes sense?

The catch 22 here is what will you call people who want to implement the ‘liberal agenda’ by using force. Simple you have to stop calling them liberal first. They lost their identity as soon as they tried to use force to impose something.Recommend

• Omar Khayyam
    Feb 8, 2011 - 4:59AM

Mr. Mir, I guess it would help if you would care to define what in your view is a ‘liberal fascist’ – readers may then make up their own minds whether Mr. Ahmed has tried to distort your views or otherwise. While you are at it also define what a religious extremist is as you have termed ‘Mard-e-Momin’ as one, and state where you stand again by defining it. Right now its all just bluster.
    You have said that Mr. Ahmed was vague in mentioning Khaild Khwaja’s death, so where is the clarity when you talk about ‘secret hands’ out to get you. Some names please!Recommend

• Feb 8, 2011 - 6:46AM

liberal fascism?

can we use grown up language that the planet can understand………Recommend

• Mohsin Khan
    Feb 8, 2011 - 7:19AM

Good article by Hamid Mir. However the intellectual fight between liberals and conservatives in our society is not a new one and its not a very big issue. On the larger front, our main problem is the ethnic tesions and” tribal discriminations” that we have inherited from centuries old Arya cvilation. Conservatives and religious groups alike, are unable to get out of their tribal or ethnic affiliations. One of the negative lessons of araya civilization that has become part of our genes is to hate rival tribes. Under these neagtive influences and because of peculiar grooming, as a pashtun, we are very likely to consider urduspeaking community as inferior people and viceversa. Similarly, we as Punjabis are taught to consider Bengalis as sub servient and unreliable people and vice versa. It was not debate between liberals and conservatives that broke Pakistan. It was rather ethnic tensions and unfair treatment of Bengalis that played the part. We should direct our energies and solutions of our problems towards providing equal rights for all citizens of the state and some sort of mechanisim for social integration between different ethnicities in Pakistan.Recommend

• Usman Ahmad
    Feb 8, 2011 - 8:00AM

@Nadir El-Edroos:
    I agree. But it doesn’t end here. You haven’t said anything about the attitude of your liberal fellow Khaled saheb. Well Done Mir saheb!Recommend

• Saif M
    Feb 8, 2011 - 8:16AM

By the way, what became of your libel case against Daily Times? Did you pursue the case? In which court?

It also came as a pleasant surprise that you considered Zia as a religious extremist. You don’t give that impression in your talk shows, though. Recommend

• Sheikh Sarmad
    Feb 8, 2011 - 8:42AM

hahaha….well done Khalid Sahib…! you brought to the end of giving explanations!Recommend

• Feb 8, 2011 - 9:00AM

@ET, for heavens sake! are these journo wars something you should entertain? So if next time some X writer has a grudge with Y, they should make way to ET in order to get their ‘tantrums’ published?
    Like seriously?!Recommend

• Feb 8, 2011 - 10:02AM

I like this :)

Hamid mir always remain under attack by zaid hamid and also NFP…and Zaid hamid and NFP are at 180degree with each other :)Recommend

• Arachnid
    Feb 8, 2011 - 10:57AM

Quoting Jonah Goldberg as your main source? Bohat ala, Mir sahib.Recommend

• White Russian
    Feb 8, 2011 - 11:02AM

Dear Hamid Mir,

I do not remember If I used to read TFT because you wrote for it. I do not even remember if you used to write in TFT. If Hamid Mir had some sporadic “guest appearences”, and then discontinued in 2002, I do not think it was such an earth shattering event which Khaled Ahmed can not get over after nearly a decade. Believe me, people living in Kashmir and KPK have even come into terms with the aftermath of 2005 earthquake.

If journalist community around you, chooses their world view because someone else moves from one to other paper (and some of them really do more frequently than they brush their teeth), then no wonder this azad sahafat of ours is such a mess.

Yours Sincerely
    A Liberal Fascist

P.S. You should also look into what Goldberg has to say about ‘illiberal fascists’, your Taliban and Al-Qaeda.Recommend

• Dr.Mull
    Feb 8, 2011 - 11:12AM

This is ridiculous,ET is giving us readers very ordinary stuff,we deserve better than cat fights among the journalists.I am sure I will go through the turmoil of finding another column by Mr.Khalid tomorrow discussing the same non issue.Recommend

• Deen Sheikh
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:03PM

Well Said Mr. Mir, you should touch on this briefly on Capital Talk this evening.Recommend

• Muhammad Sajjad
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:34PM

Extemism is extremism, in any shape and is bad and not allowed in any religion. We in Pakistan try to impose what we belive is right whether fascisim or religious extremism. If Alqaeda etal do not listen to others, same is the case of liberal fascisits. Every one whether american, european or others are as good as others unless and untill their own intrests are saved. And the moment their own intrests are in danger then they do not see any ethics, rules, regualtions, huminity etc etc. Look at the two world wars, vietnam ah, poor Palastinies, a million & a half massacre of Iraqir, innocent afghanies.

So whether Hamid Mir or Kahlid etal have a heart and try to be fair and square when writing down.Recommend

• Rahat Hameed
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:44PM

Well done a Great response based on facts instead of allegatiions from Mr.Khaled Ahmed. Keep up the Good work Mr. Hamid MirRecommend

• Shuaib
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:53PM

Is this a news homepage or social networking site?Recommend

• Marwat
    Feb 8, 2011 - 12:59PM

Was this article worth-publication? I think Tribune should not fall low this much in selection of articles. Mr Khalid is the voice of sanity who always argue with substantive facts and reasons and not driven by paranoia or conspiracy theories. Mr Khalid’s assertions always stand to the reason. Recommend

• Samemee
    Feb 8, 2011 - 1:02PM

Well in my point of view you didn’t anything wrong, while the word fascists is very less for all those who playing with Islam & 18core people. Its so sad that in journalist community like these issue arises, atleast there are someone who can speak the truth while whole world laughing on us that what kind of Government & rulers in the Pak land. It’s better that like others to invite those people in front of camera for LIVE Show honorable Mir. If someone saying that yours sympathies with Taliban so let us know, what about all those who support DRONES and border violation in our PAK land???? They are not only fascists but also not honest with PAKISTAN, because they creates and than they blame others. Recommend

• Ammar
    Feb 8, 2011 - 1:02PM

@Nadir El-Edroos:

Thanks for your brief note, I would look forward to a detailed one in your next article.Recommend

• IZ
    Feb 8, 2011 - 1:48PM

First of all I think its great that Express is printing Mr. Hamid Mir’s article and I think its great that Mr. Mir took the time to counter Mr. Ahmed’s article. I wish more people in our society took the time to sit down and put pen to paper when they have disagreements with each other.
    Having said that I do believe that Mr. Ahmed’s basic point, which was that the term ‘liberal fascist’ is a pointless term which is used as a catch-all to condemn all sorts of different and sometimes contradictory ideological, political and/or philosophical positions is valid. Part of this confusion comes from the fact that liberal can refer to two different things, i.e. liberal in terms of social norms and liberal in terms of a programme of political action. To further confuse matters, liberal in the classical political sense of the word refers to the 19th century political belief in free markets, meritocratic governments, equality before the law, and a ‘hands-off’ approach to economic, social and religious issues, while in late 20th and 21st century America it has come to be identified with the American left, the Democracts and their progressive domestic agenda.
    Why is it a confusing term? Well someone like Musharraf and some of his supporters may have been liberal in their personal lives but were politically right-wing and decidedly anti-liberal politically. (Remember it was he who first started using the term ‘liberal-extremists’ to describe his critics from the political centre and left). While one can agree to a certain extent with Mr. Mir that the term describes those who are socially liberal but politically authoritarian, (which Musharraf was) but it has been used to describe anyone who is socially liberal, or anyone who is politically to the left of the person hurling the accusation, or indeed, anyone who is considered critical of a particular Pakistani foreign or domestic policy, The term is less and less useful in recognising any particular political or ideological position and is basically used as a negative label. We don’t know what a liberal fascist is but we know its bad. The word doesn’t really have much use in sober journalism.Recommend

• Tariq
    Feb 8, 2011 - 1:50PM

A-O-A,

I wonder what liberal and conservatives are you guys talking about, when it come to democracy they all agree that it should be the system of governance. This in fact depicts clearly that the disparity between liberals and so called conservatives are in minor issues while they agree on the major thing, secular democracy, capitalist economic system etc. I would dare all these so called free media channels and journalists to give opportunity to those who are truly working for the REAL CHANGE ‘khilafah’ and then see what exactly is the difference between them. I hope you know which political party I am referring to and will help in initiating a positive discourse to bring about a paradigm shift in pakistan.

Regards,
    Tariq Recommend

• Ummi Khann
    Feb 8, 2011 - 2:27PM

There must be no hesitation that Islamic extremism is the effect of liberal Fascism.
    Hamid Mir is one of the bravest journalists in our country. He always speaks the truth. Position his living in danger by going inside the battle fields & report what he sees there. So a group of people, who can’t gulp the fact, comes up with such lame accusations & sham conspiracies.Recommend

• Mudassar Umar
    Feb 8, 2011 - 2:39PM

Dear Mir Sab,
    you are one the respectable journalist in our country,You made good justice to every issue that you had written as for i am reading you for last 5 years.
    We trust upon you.your writings are worthy enough.You need not to be worry for these allegations.
    Because if your truth can fight with dictator then this stuff is nothing.
    Keep it up.Recommend

• Mahdi Raza
    Feb 8, 2011 - 3:27PM

If you remember well your coulmn, you took example of Mr. Hoodbhoy as a liberal fascist who supports drone attacks, please in some other column give evidence or read this:

Also, I want to ask a question that if you listen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQoH5SA1xMo then what is your response…?Recommend

• naUm
    Feb 8, 2011 - 3:44PM

Well..dude Khaled Ahmed wants attention from your circle of readers/audience..its simple;)Recommend

• Abdul Gilani
    Feb 8, 2011 - 3:45PM

All liberal fundamentalists who declare Pakistan was meant for secularism and justify wine drinking and illicit actions can go back to india where they belong. Rest assured “secularism” exists there and still we get decisions like the one on Babri Mosque.

It took more than a century for Europe to get “secularism” and the result we have seen, 2 World Wars in which millions died. Sorry I spit on such ideology. We dont need any secularism.Recommend

• Feb 8, 2011 - 4:46PM

I have heard Mr. Hamid Mir use the phrase “liberal fascist” over and over again in his shows, as an equivalent to conservative fascists, and he has used that even after Musharaf departed, especially in his shows after the murder of salman taseer.

As someone has already pointed out that, It would be good to hear his own definition of it, since he is now publicly distancing himself from the word. But if he thinks that Chaudhry Shujaat and PML Q are “liberal” fascists then he needs to see their performance in the recent Molvi woodstock in Lahore, where they were standing shoulder to shoulder with the supporters of Qadri.Recommend

• Feb 8, 2011 - 4:53PM

Well……
    I don’t say any thing as debate is on. Lets see what happen.
    But i must appreciate the initiative of courage shown by Hamid to use the same platform as Khaled Ahmed does to give the answers of allegations against him. Recommend

• saleem muhammad
    Feb 8, 2011 - 4:54PM

Poor arguments Mir Sahib! Can you come up with another one. Recommend

• wahab
    Feb 8, 2011 - 5:45PM

Religious extremists and liberal fascists .. Just shows how divided our society is :(Recommend

• ramzan satti
    Feb 8, 2011 - 6:22PM

why u r afraid by liberals?I think u should clearly mention that u like Islam and Islamic way of goverence?Recommend

• rizwan
    Feb 8, 2011 - 6:32PM

first of all, mr. hamid mir if you are proving yourself innocent then mark all the secret hands dont use this term again if you want to prove yourself innocent…
    second is that general Zia ul haq was not a religious extremist. he was the president of “ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF PAKISTAN” if he made islamic reforms then why are you calling him religious extremist….
    third is that mr. Zaid hamid is a great personality. he is a great scholar and preacher of islam.
    if you are innocent then why are you saying that you are innocent.Recommend

• Haris Khan
    Feb 8, 2011 - 6:32PM

Well done Hamid Mir. I know that you first wrote a column against Taliban in Daily Pakistan in 1996 and it was Benazir Bhutto who asked you to support Taliban.

I remember your articles in TFT in 2001.You wrote a famous article that why Pakistanis hate Americans and then this article was discussed in my Harvard class.

• Haris Khan
    Feb 8, 2011 - 6:50PM

Hamid Mir have many enemies.I think Khaled Ahmed should leave him alone and target real black sheeps.Hamid Mir got Saarc lifetime achievement award last year in India by writers like Khashwant Singh because Hamid struggled for democracy,human rights and freedom of media.He is our asset.Khaled Ahmed should encourage this young man.Recommend

• Tahir Malik
    Feb 8, 2011 - 7:15PM

Dear,

To say & write the truth is the courage for those who has the honesty and braveness.
    I think you are always trying to keep the mirror in front of common public through your columns and talk shows.
    I beleive that if someone is doing wrong by writting or by saying and diverting the mind of peoples towards wrong and proving the support. It will be not long, there is someone for the judgment and that is Allah!!!!!!!

Mr.Hamid Mir don’t worry, if you are clear by your heart and mind and your Zameer is satisfied so don’t care any body else. Never keep yorself in foolish things.Just concentrate on positive thinking and keep continue serving the our beloved country by writting/shows.
    Don’t give way to those Pakistnis who are working for the other countries and comming to Pakistan for the selling this Land to others.This time we need the unity against those enemies who are between us.
    Best of LuckRecommend

• Q
    Feb 8, 2011 - 7:16PM

Mr. Hamid Mir, you should thank the Ex-President PM for giving you “Identity”!Recommend

• shafat shafi
    Feb 8, 2011 - 8:18PM

AMIR mir is the brother of hamid mir .huh ! they are poles apart . amir mir calls even musharaff a fundamentalist who is a liberal fascist as per hamid mir . mr mir should first try to convert his brotherRecommend

• Hamid
    Feb 8, 2011 - 8:39PM

Mir’s write up is the last thing many of us want to read in ET. Recommend

• Sheikh Sarmad
    Feb 9, 2011 - 8:22AM

Khalid’s article is rational defence..while Hamid Mir’s article builts on personnal grudge…that is the difference!Recommend

• Hanif Awan 831682 831682
    Feb 9, 2011 - 10:17AM

Mr.Hamid Mir is simply a very,very clever person,who can play with the WORDS in his own way.Well done Mr MEEEEEEEEEEEEEER.Recommend

• ahz
    Feb 9, 2011 - 10:22AM

Yesterday I saw his talk show “Capital Talk”. He invited among others Mr. Juctice (r) Javed (spoke-man for the movement for restoration of Chief Justice). The interesting thing in that both Mr. Mir and Justice sb. blaming each other for making the nation violent. After the successful movement against Dictator both the parties blaming each other as they themselves now feel threatened for the violence they lightened in the nation.

Apart from all this Mr. Khalid story,, actually Mr. Mir become party for all political movement made by Mr. Sharif, specially the talk show he conducted a night before the by-election of Mr. Sheikh Rasheed Ahmed. He should also observed his attitude towards the PML (N) and other parties representatives.Recommend

• Nazia Khan
    Feb 9, 2011 - 10:32AM

Respectable bravest Hamid Mir Sahib,
    Please don,t give attention to this person who just wana use you for his popularity.
    Children to aged persons know you and repect your opinions.You are the most popular and known columnist in Pakistan.So why you give so much attention to a person whom don,t know 99% ppl.So plz stop arguing with this person and take your routine.
    At last i solute to your courage and stand on each dangerous issue.
    May God bless you and your familyRecommend

• salim
    Feb 9, 2011 - 10:49AM

People are still waiting for the results of the voice analysis of the tape that surfaced after Khalid Khawaja’s brutal murder. A group of journalists, eager to clear you, had promised that they would get this done and announce the result. What happened???Recommend

• Ismail
    Feb 9, 2011 - 11:58AM

well said Mir sb. But i think it was nod needed actually, as replying or respondeing to these personalities by you seems strange. Before your stated articles, i was unaware of this man. Recommend

• aash
    Feb 9, 2011 - 12:25PM

do your work without any fear.you are the man of your words.Recommend

• abdul
    Feb 9, 2011 - 2:21PM

Geo President Imran Aslam declared me innocent after investigation.

Israel after investigation decleared attack by Israeli army on freedom flotilla justified.

hmmmmmmmmmm ??Recommend

• aanee
    Feb 9, 2011 - 3:39PM

well said Mr.Mir
    i think Mr.Ahmad is trying to establish something else in the cover of liberal fascism.Recommend

• mnkhan
    Feb 9, 2011 - 6:36PM

the feedback through these comments places hamid in the place of his worth.
    who pay him his worth he will sing his songs, he is not alone in this field,tribune
    space exposed him much more in his commity.

• Raza
    Feb 9, 2011 - 8:10PM

For those who may have read Jonah Goldberg without any spark of recognition, its amazing the sources considered credible.

Jonah Goldberg being a war-mongering, somewhat esoteric neo-conservative who popularized the internet-meme “cheese eating surrender monkeys” for the French when they refused to back the Iraq invasion, and linked american progressivism (he defines himself as a classical liberal, and democrats as the fascists) via organic food and collectivism and ‘it takes a village to raise a kid’ type childrens welfare programs to fascism. For those in the US (or those who know how to bypass country restrictions)

[url]http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-january-16-2008/jonah-goldberg[/url]

Monkey see, monkey do.Recommend

• Javed
    Feb 9, 2011 - 9:05PM

BIG MOUTH OF ANCHORS – FOREIGN ASSETS

It is a well known fact that whosoever having worth of his salt has two faces; one others to see and the second the real side for self. The popular talk show Capital Talks of 3rd February 2011 covered the topic of politicians attitude a day earlier in the Assembly on increasing parliamentarians perks. The host Hamid Mir opened debate that while the politicians were supposed to think for the welfare of suffering masses but most of them voted for increasing their own perks not caring the financial condition of the country. The participants Khawaja Asif, Kashmila Tariq were critical that all the TV talk shows showed bias and discriminatory hitting only politicians leaving judges, bureaucrats etc aside. At one stage when Hamid Mir emphasized that the politicians should bring their foreign assets back in Pakistan, Khawja Asif very promptly agreeing to it demanded from Hamid Mir that first of all owners of his channel should bring their foreign assets to Pakistan. At this Hamid Mir tactfully but in vain tried to bully and asked how much assets Khawaja Asif had abroad. Khawja’s response was spontaneous, very logical and a million dollars worth when he offered Hamid Mir to hand over all his foreign assets to him (Khawa Asif) who in return would hand over his foreign assets to Hamid. Hamid Mir immediately went on a ”short commercial break”. This self speaking piece needs no comments of this senior citizen or any of the viewers of citizens of this economically crippled country. Recommend

• Raqib Ali
    Feb 11, 2011 - 3:31AM

@ Nadir el Edroos

Your comment is spot on but you should realise that our Urdu press journalists don’t know a lot about international political theories. They try to get some spicy material for ‘international conspiracies’. They hardly know anything deeper about British or US political values. They take one incident from some tabloid and mix it with their philosophy with a lot of prophesies. Recommend

• Khuwaja Khurram
    Feb 14, 2011 - 1:12AM

Have no time to discuss about khaled ahmad.Recommend

• aamir
    Feb 18, 2011 - 4:02PM

EveryBody talks about “Some Secret Hands’

I am confused what r they, should name them, all of them get away by saying there are “some secret hands” behind it, no body tells who they r????????????????????????Recommend

• khurram