Justice (retd) Javed Iqbal passes away in Lahore

Published: October 3, 2015
Justice (retd) Javed Iqbal. PHOTO: FAISAL FAROOQUI

Justice (retd) Javed Iqbal. PHOTO: FAISAL FAROOQUI

Justice (retd) Javed Iqbal, son of renowned philosopher and poet Allama Iqbal, passed away in Lahore on Saturday.

Javed Iqbal who previously served as the chief justice of Lahore High Court and a Supreme Court judge passed away at the age of 91 after a prolonged illness, Radio Pakistan reported.

The former justice was under treatment at the Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital in Lahore. His funeral prayers will be offered at 4pm today.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and President Mamnoon Hussain expressed grief over Javed Iqbal’s demise.

“The death of Javed Iqbal, who rendered great legal and literary services for the country, is a huge loss to the state of Pakistan,” a PM House statement quoted the premier as saying.

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan also expressed sorrow.

“Grieved to learn of the passing of Dr Javed Iqbal, a jurist, scholar & philosopher. His death is a great loss for Pakistan,” the PTI chief said.

• Afterlife
    Oct 3, 2015 - 10:48AM

ina lilahi wa ina ilayhi rajiun.. May Allah give Pakistan more amazing people like Mr.Javed Iqbal. ameenRecommend

• nomi
    Oct 3, 2015 - 11:15AM

So sad to read this. He was one of the very few sane voices. Recommend

• iffat khan
    Oct 3, 2015 - 2:32PM

so sad for the death of javed iqbal so of great poet . Allah bless ..Recommend

• adil hussain
    Oct 3, 2015 - 2:40PM

Bhot afsoos huwa hai Allah Almighty unbko janat ul fardoos m jaga ata farmaye ameen…Recommend

• adil hussain
    Oct 3, 2015 - 2:41PM

Very sad newRecommend

• Iqbal Hadi Zaidi
    Oct 3, 2015 - 5:12PM

It is too unfortunate that one of my most respected teacher who taught me Law when I was Punjab University Law College, Lahore student in 1966 has died but at the same time I am too fortunate to have been taught by such a learned personality. I composed befitting poetic condolence which I posted here about 4 hours ago but it has been ignored while Dawn flashed it as a prose and not as a poem and I have my very serious doubts if readers can read it properly. Dr was so great a person that he came to Kuwait in 1988 or 89 and it was his real greatness that he could squeeze few minutes to meet his old student despite the fact that he had so many engagements but yet he honored his student. It will be too immoral on my part if I do not mention that he very kindly agreed to my request to join him as a junior trainee but alas I didn’t have money to buy a motorcycle and it did not appeal to me that wearing a black coat and black tie either I cycle or go by bus otherwise I had a practicing lawyer. He was a true gentle and most enlightened person I can bet on my life. Allah bless his soul I honest pray. / Iqbal Hadi Zaidi / Kuwait / [email protected] Recommend

• Oct 4, 2015 - 12:54AM