Indian army chief General Dalbir Singh claimed on Tuesday that they were prepared to face any military action on the border with their ‘western neighbours’ if the need arises. His comments come in the backdrop of intense ceasefire violations across the Line of Control (LoC).
On Friday, cross-border firing between India and Pakistan killed at least nine people, including six civilians in Sialkot.
More than 40 were treated for wounds in hospital in the town of Sialkot, the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) said.
On Tuesday, speaking at the Tri-Service Seminar on the 1965 Indo-Pak War, Singh said a high-level of operational preparedness at all times had become part of India’s strategy as short nature of future wars offered limited warning time.
“As we look ahead, we can see our threats and challenges become more complex. As a result, the commitments of the Indian Army have increased manifold in scope and intensity in past few years,” he said.
Read: At 11th hour, NSA talks called off
His comments are followed by Defence Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif’s statement blaming India for trying to impose war on Pakistan.
Asif had cautioned India it would suffer “heavy losses” if it tries to “impose” a war on his country.
After the cancellation of the talks between the National Security Advisors of both sides, following disagreements over the agenda for talks, both countries have accused the other of violating the ceasefire agreement that has led to loss of civilian lives as well as casualties to the defence forces.
Pakistan last month said Indian forces had committed over 70 unprovoked ceasefire violations on the LoC and the Working Boundary in July and August respectively.
The article originally appeared on The Hindu
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ