• In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cream and condensed milk. Mix the liquids thoroughly.
• Add half of the cream mixture to the sliced fruits and set the remaining half aside.
• Crush the biscuits by hand or in a food processor, until they acquire a crumbly form.
• Put in the first layer of the cream in a large-sized glass, followed by the crushed biscuits.
• Add a second layer of the strawberry and banana jelly, neatly.
• Drop a spoonful or two of the fruit and cream mixture as the third layer, garnishing it with the crushed almonds, cashew nuts and walnuts. Serve chilled.
The glass dessert trend
If you love desserts but worry about the effort that goes into preparing them, this trend is for you! Instead of wasting time on baking in huge platters, why not serve bite-sized sweet treats in glasses? It saves time and energy, looks and tastes great and best of all, the small helpings keep excess weight at bay. So this mango-season, try your hand at these Mango and Lemon Syllabub desserts. They’re easy to make, delicious to taste and is sure to make all your Eid guests fall in love!
For the lemon syllabub:
• Heavy cream 12 oz.
• Lemon zest 1/2 lemon
• Lemon juice 2 tbsp
• Honey 4 tbsp
For the mango purée:
• Mangoes (large, 2 peeled and stones, 1 chopped)
• Honey 4 tbsp
• Lemon juice 1/2 lemon
• Mango flesh (chopped) 1/4 mango
• Mint sprigs
• Prepare the lemon syllabub by whipping the cream with a hand-held mixer until it becomes slightly thicker.
• Add in the lemon zest, lemon juice and honey and stir with a wooden spoon. Allow the mixture to sit for two to three minutes.
• For the mango purée, blend the flesh of two mangoes in a food processor until forms a paste.
• Pour in honey and lemon juice and blend the mixture until smooth.
• With another spoon, stir in the chopped mangoes and place the purée onto the base of the glass.
• Spoon the whipped cream mixture on top of the mango purée and garnish the dessert with the remaining mango bits.
• Place a sprig of mint or two on top for decoration. Serve chilled.
Published in The Express Tribune, Ms T, July 19th, 2015.