20 killed in Zaria, Nigeria bomb attack: state governor

Boko Haram extremists will be the main suspects, as they have carried out a wave of similar attacks in the past


Afp July 07, 2015
Damaturu, northern Nigeria, had been the site of attak by Boko Haram in past. PHOTO: AFP

NIGERIA: At least 20 people were killed in a bomb blast in the city of Zaria, northern Nigeria, on Tuesday, a regional governor said.

"I am sad that a terrorist bomb attack just killed 20 people in Sabon Gari Zaria," Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai, the governor of Kaduna state, wrote on his Twitter account.

The blast happened at about 9:00 am (0800 GMT) as primary school teachers and public sector staff underwent screening at government offices in the city, according to witnesses.

Read: Female suicide bomber kills 20 in Nigeria

There was no immediate claim of responsibility but Boko Haram extremists will be the main suspects, as they have carried out a wave of similar attacks in the past.

El-Rufai, from the All Progressives Congress (APC) party of President Muhammadu Buhari, said people in the mainly Muslim city should be vigilant and avoid crowded places in the next few weeks.

"We call on our people to report any suspicious persons and movements to law enforcement agents, traditional rulers and religious leaders," he added.

Read: Over 40 killed in 'Boko Haram' attacks in Nigeria: police

"The Kaduna State government is working with Federal security agencies that are taking proactive measures to frustrate such terrorists."

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read