Seven soldiers killed in North Waziristan gun battle
At least 19 militants, including five commanders were also killed during the exchange of fire
PHOTO: AFP
Seven soldiers embraced martyrdom after a gun battle late on Sunday night in North Waziristan, along the border with the Afghan border.
At least 19 militants, including five commanders were also killed during the exchange of fire.
“19 terrorists were killed, including 5 of their commanders, in an intense exchange of fire with security forces last night in an uncleared pocket along the North Waziristan-Afghan border,” Inter Services Public Relations said in a statement.
“When being chased and cordoned, one militant exploded himself killing seven soldiers.”
Read: US drone strike kills eight suspected militants in North Waziristan
North Waziristan has largely been purged of terrorists, yet targeted air strikes and sporadic clashes continue in the area which was once the stronghold of homegrown militants and their foreign cohorts.
North Waziristan has been off limits for media persons since the military launched a massive operation in the region, codenamed Zarb-e-Azb, in mid-July, last year. Hundreds of thousands of tribesmen displaced by the operation have started returning to their homes in areas declared safe by the military.
Read: 'PM gives go-ahead for ground operation in Shawal Valley'
The army has announced that the operation will be extended to other areas as well, including Shawal Valley.
At least 19 militants, including five commanders were also killed during the exchange of fire.
“19 terrorists were killed, including 5 of their commanders, in an intense exchange of fire with security forces last night in an uncleared pocket along the North Waziristan-Afghan border,” Inter Services Public Relations said in a statement.
“When being chased and cordoned, one militant exploded himself killing seven soldiers.”
Read: US drone strike kills eight suspected militants in North Waziristan
North Waziristan has largely been purged of terrorists, yet targeted air strikes and sporadic clashes continue in the area which was once the stronghold of homegrown militants and their foreign cohorts.
North Waziristan has been off limits for media persons since the military launched a massive operation in the region, codenamed Zarb-e-Azb, in mid-July, last year. Hundreds of thousands of tribesmen displaced by the operation have started returning to their homes in areas declared safe by the military.
Read: 'PM gives go-ahead for ground operation in Shawal Valley'
The army has announced that the operation will be extended to other areas as well, including Shawal Valley.