No-show: Lakhvi to now be indicted on March 7

Accused failed to appear before court due to security concerns.


Obaid Abbasi February 28, 2015
A file photo of Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi. PHOTO: AFP

ISLAMABAD: The judicial magistrate on Saturday deferred Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi’s indictment in a six-year-old kidnapping case after he failed to appear owing to security reasons.

In December last year, the Golra police registered a case against Lakhvi for allegedly kidnapping Anwar Khan, a resident of the capital’s outskirts. The case was registered in response to a complaint filed by Muhammad Dawood, Khan’s relative.

Lakhvi was to be indicted on Saturday, however, because the accused could not appear before court due to security reasons, his indictment was deferred till March 7, said special prosecutor Amir Nadeem Tabish. The court had granted him bail on January 9.

The prosecutor said the indictment might take place in Adiala Jail due to security reasons, adding that the Islamabad chief commissioner will issue a formal notification in this regard and the next hearing will take place in Adiala Jail. On February 14 the magistrate had rejected Lakhvi’s acquittal plea and charged him.

Deputy Commissioner Islamabad Mujahid Sherdil had already extended Lakhvi’s detention, under section 3 of the Maintenance of Public Order. Currently, Lakhvi is under detention in Adiala Jail.

Lakhvi, a senior figure of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba, was allegedly involved in planning, financing and executing the Mumbai attacks in 2008.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 1st, 2015.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read