QUETTA: A key commander of the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ) and his companion were killed in a raid by security forces in Saryab area of Quetta on Sunday, a senior official of Balochistan told The Express Tribune.
Usman Saifullah Kurd had been convicted by an anti-terror court in 2003 for masterminding two sectarian attacks in Quetta. He had escaped from the high security Quetta cantonment jail in 2008, following which the government imposed a Rs2.5 million bounty on him.
“The Frontier Corps (FC), on a tip-off, launched a massive search operation in Saryab against the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi,” a spokesperson for the FC told The Express Tribune. He added that in an exchange of fire with LeJ men, two FC officials were injured.
Two LeJ men were also wounded in the raid, while a third was arrested unhurt. However, a senior official of Balochistan government said that the two men later succumbed to their injuries.
“The key commander or head of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi Balochistan Usman Saifullah Kurd was killed during the security forces’ raid in Saryab,” he told The Express Tribune. “Kurd was killed along with his companion.”
The FC spokesperson added that their injured men have been shifted to Combined Military Hospital for treatment.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ