Park Enclave: CDA claims white elephant gaining colour
Bidding for development work contract on July 21.
ISLAMABAD:
The Capital Development Authority on Monday claimed to have made significant headway in the development of the stalled Park Enclave project.
The CDA Monday announced that some four construction firms have prequalified for infrastructure development of Park Enclave. As many as 30 construction firms participated in the prequalification process, which was initiated last month.
The prequalified firms include Maakson, Chaudhry Abdul Latif and Sons, Maqbool Associates, and SKB.
“The four prequalified firms will participate in open bidding on July 21. The firm offering the lowest bid would be awarded the project,” said a senior official of the authority.
It is worth remembering that the CDA has allocated Rs500 million for the development of Park Enclave in its budget for the financial year 2014-15. The scope of work includes development of a residential colony stretching over 211 acres, setting up road networks and storm water drainage, water supply systems, sewage lines, landscaping and electrical work.
The authority has estimated the total cost of this work at Rs1.1 billion. The estimation is based on NHA 2011 and MES 2009 rate schedules.
Park Enclave was launched in 2011. The CDA had offered some 613 plots of 500 square yards each here. The development of the scheme was scheduled to be completed by December 2012, but for one reason or the other, the project continued to be delayed.
At the same time, the authority has collected around Rs2.5 billion from 613 allottees, most of whom have submitted down payments and their first instalments.
Out of the Rs2.5 billion, the CDA has already spent Rs 2.1 billion to cover non-developmental expenditure, mostly staff salaries. Meanwhile, due to the absence of visible development work at the site, the allottees have stopped paying their remaining instalments.
Due to the lack of development, many allottees had also moved courts. They also challenged alleged changes to the original layout plan and manipulated balloting of plots in 2012.
“With this development, we hope the trust of allottees will be restored and that they will submit the outstanding payments,” the official said.
In 2012, the CDA hired Nespak as a consultant for the project on single tender basis. This went against Public Procurement Regulatory Authority rules and was criticised by the Cabinet Division, which later refused to endorse it and asked the CDA to hire a consultant after fulfilling all legal requirements.
So far, the authority has only completed construction of boundary wall around the project site in a bid to save it from encroachers.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 15th, 2014.
The Capital Development Authority on Monday claimed to have made significant headway in the development of the stalled Park Enclave project.
The CDA Monday announced that some four construction firms have prequalified for infrastructure development of Park Enclave. As many as 30 construction firms participated in the prequalification process, which was initiated last month.
The prequalified firms include Maakson, Chaudhry Abdul Latif and Sons, Maqbool Associates, and SKB.
“The four prequalified firms will participate in open bidding on July 21. The firm offering the lowest bid would be awarded the project,” said a senior official of the authority.
It is worth remembering that the CDA has allocated Rs500 million for the development of Park Enclave in its budget for the financial year 2014-15. The scope of work includes development of a residential colony stretching over 211 acres, setting up road networks and storm water drainage, water supply systems, sewage lines, landscaping and electrical work.
The authority has estimated the total cost of this work at Rs1.1 billion. The estimation is based on NHA 2011 and MES 2009 rate schedules.
Park Enclave was launched in 2011. The CDA had offered some 613 plots of 500 square yards each here. The development of the scheme was scheduled to be completed by December 2012, but for one reason or the other, the project continued to be delayed.
At the same time, the authority has collected around Rs2.5 billion from 613 allottees, most of whom have submitted down payments and their first instalments.
Out of the Rs2.5 billion, the CDA has already spent Rs 2.1 billion to cover non-developmental expenditure, mostly staff salaries. Meanwhile, due to the absence of visible development work at the site, the allottees have stopped paying their remaining instalments.
Due to the lack of development, many allottees had also moved courts. They also challenged alleged changes to the original layout plan and manipulated balloting of plots in 2012.
“With this development, we hope the trust of allottees will be restored and that they will submit the outstanding payments,” the official said.
In 2012, the CDA hired Nespak as a consultant for the project on single tender basis. This went against Public Procurement Regulatory Authority rules and was criticised by the Cabinet Division, which later refused to endorse it and asked the CDA to hire a consultant after fulfilling all legal requirements.
So far, the authority has only completed construction of boundary wall around the project site in a bid to save it from encroachers.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 15th, 2014.