Pakistan Cricket Board: Former chief selector seeks contempt of court charges

The petitioner said he had been appointed chief selector during the tenure of former PCB chairman Zaka Ashraf.


Our Correspondent April 29, 2014
The petitioner said he had been reappointed to the post after the reinstatement of Ashraf. PHOTO: FILE

LAHORE:


Lahore High Court on Tuesday issued notices to Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Najam Sethi and others on a petition by Muhammad Ilyas, former chairman of National Selection Committee.


The petitioner said he had been appointed chief selector during the tenure of former PCB chairman Zaka Ashraf. After Ashraf’s dismissal following a judgment of the Islamabad High Court, the contract was not extended. He claimed that there had been no lawful justification behind his dismissal. He said the interim-management of the board headed by Najam Sethi had held a grudge against him.

The petitioner said he had been reappointed to the post after the reinstatement of Ashraf. After the prime minister, as patron in chief of the PCB, removed Ashraf again and appointed an interim management committee which selected Najam Sethi as the new chairman, Ilyas said Sethi terminated his contract.

He said the court had directed the board to release his pension and other benefits, but the order had yet to be complied with.  Ilyas has sought contempt of court charges against the PCB chairman and other respondents.

Justice Shahid Waheed issued notices to the respondents and directed them to submit their replies by May 7.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 30th, 2014.

COMMENTS (1)

javed khan | 7 years ago | Reply

Ilyas sb keep quite let new generation like wasim, waqar, inzamam etc take over. enough now so act like typical Pakistani politician.

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read