Gang war violence: Three including a child killed in Karachi

The area is considered to be a stronghold of People Amn Committe chief Uziar Baloch.


Faraz Khan December 09, 2013
“They (gangsters) first shouted slogans against the Uzair Baloch and in favour of Pappu and Zikri and later lobbed cracker and resorted to indiscriminate firing,” says police. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI: At least three people were killed, including a toddler, and three others were wounded when armed men lobbed a cracker and resorted to indiscriminate firing in Jahanabad area of Karachi on Monday evening.

Alleged members of Ghaffar Zikiri gang along with the men believed to be associated with the Baba Ladla gang hurled crackers and resorted to indiscriminate firing in Jahanabad area of Pak Colony, in a suspected turf battle.

The area is considered to be a stronghold of Peoples Amn Committe chief Uziar Baloch. Jahanabad, which was once the stronghold of slain gangster Arshad Pappu, was occupied by the Rehman Baloch group following Pappu's arrest.

“After Rehman Baloch’s killing in an encounter, the area was considered a stronghold of the PAC chief Uzair Baloch,” said the sources privy to the matter while talking to The Express Tribune. “Pappu’s successor, Ghaffar Zikri, has shaken hands with the Baba Ladla group, and Zikri’s men, in collaboration with the Baba Ladla’s men attacked the area to regain their area.”

Police officials also confirmed the news and said that it was an attempt to recapture the area. “They (gangsters) first shouted slogans against the Uzair Baloch and in favour of Pappu and Zikri and later lobbed cracker and resorted to indiscriminate firing,” confirmed SHO Bilal Raza while talking to The Express Tribune.

The officer said that one-year-old baby boy, Shahnawaz was killed. The other two killed were identified as Iqbal Kareem, 30, and Nadeem Ghani, 32. The three injured included Gulistan Mohammad, 50, Yasin Mohammad, 25 and Faiza, 18.

The deceased and injured were taken to Civil Hospital, Karachi for autopsy and medical treatment.

Extra contingents of law enforcers reached the site and cordoned off the area and started to conduct a search operation. An overnight operation is also expected.

No case has been registered so far, while further investigation was underway.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read