Justice Nasir Saeed Sheikh of Lahore High Court has deferred till August 16 a petition against the government’s ongoing construction of a parking plaza at the Gulberg Doongi ground.
The Lahore Development Authority’s director appeared before the court on Monday and asked for more time to reply to the petition.
Faran Rafique Khan, a Gulberg resident, had moved the petition.
The petitioner said that the LHC had in September 2011 declared construction at the ground illegal, but the government had ignored these orders. A contempt petition had been moved against the government and while it remained pending, it had speeded up the construction work. The government had not conducted a feasibility study or an environmental impact assessment before starting work on the parking plaza. The residents of the area should be allowed to use the land as a ground for playing cricket, hockey and football, he said.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 30th, 2013.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ