Arthur to take action over CA axing: Report

Sacked coach hires legal firm, seeking compensation.


Afp July 13, 2013
Arthur had been contracted to the end of the 2015 World Cup and entitled to three months’ notice, said the newspaper. PHOTO: AFP

SYDNEY:


Sacked coach Mickey Arthur has hired a legal firm and is seeking compensation after Cricket Australia (CA) tore up his contract last month, said a report yesterday.


The South African, the first foreign-born coach of the Australian team, was sacked just 16 days before the start of the Ashes series in England.

Cricket Australia high-performance manager Pat Howard and chief executive James Sutherland called Arthur into a meeting ahead of the Ashes and told him he was to be replaced immediately by Darren Lehmann.

Citing sources, The Weekend Australian newspaper said CA had offered Arthur a cash settlement, hoping to head off a court battle.

Arthur had been contracted to the end of the 2015 World Cup and entitled to three months’ notice, said the newspaper.

The Weekend Australian said there were legal concerns about the way Arthur’s sacking was handled.

Arthur went quietly at the time, admitting he had been ‘shocked and shattered’ and had no idea he was about to lose his job when summoned to the meeting, it said.

“I will leave with a lot of professional pride and a lot of professional dignity,” said Arthur in the wake of the axing. “That is how I always like to be remembered.”

The report claimed Arthur had appointed high-profile legal team Harmers Workplace Lawyers to seek damages.

CA, however, refused to comment on the report.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 14th, 2013.

Like Sports on Facebook, follow @ETribuneSports on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

COMMENTS (1)

Micky Arthur | 7 years ago | Reply

After first test...hahahahahhahahahahaha

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ