KARACHI: At least seven people were killed and 12 injured as two explosions took place one after the other near the Dolmen Shopping Centre in Hyderi area of Karachi on Tuesday, reported Express News. A woman and a child were also among the dead.
Residents of the area said that two explosions were heard as far as two to three kilometers away from site of the blasts. The sound of the blasts and resulting shockwave caused many cars to collide with each other.
Police officials said that the blast took place in the parking lot of the shopping centre and the site caught fire after the blast. The Bomb Disposal Squad issued a report saying that the 3-4kg explosives were used in the blasts.
The dead and injured have been shifted to Abbasi Shaheed hospital.
SSP Central, talking to the media, said that an improvised explosive device (IED) was used in one of the blasts and it was of greater intensity. The other blast was of smaller intensity, he added.
According to IG Sindh, one of the bombs had been planted on a motorcycle and another under a push cart.
Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah took notice of the incident and sought a report from IG Sindh.
SSP Raja Umer Khattab, talking to The Express Tribune, speculated that the nearby Bohri community might have been targeted in the attacks but did not confirm it.
Karachi city police chief Iqbal Mehmood said: "The blast occurred at a place from where we had recovered and safely defused a heavy bomb last month.
"I can't say which terrorist organisation or individuals are behind this at this point of time," he said, adding that investigations were ongoing.
Emergency has been declared in all hospitals of the city.
An eyewitness told The Express Tribune that the first blast took place at 7:25pm and the market was crowded at that time.
Rescue officials, fire brigades and the Bomb Disposal Squad have reached the site of the incident.
A heavy contingent of police and Rangers reached the spot soon after the blast.
Traders’ association has called a strike in the city in protest against the blasts.
JIT formed to investigate blasts
Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Tuesday ordered for the formation of a Joint Committee to investigate the twin blasts at a market in Karachi.
According to a press release, the committee will be led by Inspector General Police Karachi. Rangers and Federal Investigation Agency (FIA)representatives will also be a part of the committee.
The minister strongly condemned the blasts and said according to Interior ministry information, the blasts was not suicide. He directed FIA to send their teams to these locations and collect evidence. He said FIA and police will use all available resources to apprehend the culprits.