Cricket: Muralitharan signs for Renegades
The eight-team event gets under way on December 7.
SYDNEY:
Leading Test wicket-taker Muttiah Muralitharan has signed for the Melbourne Renegades for next season’s Australian Twenty20 Big Bash League. The 40-year-old Sri Lankan, who retired from international cricket after Sri Lanka lost the World Cup final to India last year, will be playing in the tournament for the first time. “I wanted to play one season in Australia and the opportunity was there so I took it,” said Muralitharan. “There’s a big Sri Lankan community [in Melbourne] so hopefully they can come and watch.” The eight-team event gets under way on December 7.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 14th, 2012.
Leading Test wicket-taker Muttiah Muralitharan has signed for the Melbourne Renegades for next season’s Australian Twenty20 Big Bash League. The 40-year-old Sri Lankan, who retired from international cricket after Sri Lanka lost the World Cup final to India last year, will be playing in the tournament for the first time. “I wanted to play one season in Australia and the opportunity was there so I took it,” said Muralitharan. “There’s a big Sri Lankan community [in Melbourne] so hopefully they can come and watch.” The eight-team event gets under way on December 7.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 14th, 2012.