Pakistan Champions League: Canadian club’s Indian members denied visa

Berry’s Cricket Club forced to pull out of Karachi event.


Nabeel Hashmi May 11, 2012

KARACHI:


Canada’s Berry Cricket Club (BCC), comprising national players, has pulled out of the second edition of Pakistan Champions League (PCL) after three of its players, of Indian background, were denied visas by the Pakistan authorities.


The 32-team event, scheduled to launch on May 21 in Karachi, has a number of foreign teams taking part, thus increasing its popularity.

“BCC agreed to take part but three of their Indian players failed to get visas which means they won’t be coming here,” a member of the organising committee told The Express Tribune.

“MNA Syed Asif Hasnain contacted the higher authorities in Islamabad but to no avail.”

The organising committee then turned towards the US association and even agreed to pay half their air-fare but not getting a favourable response, Hong Kong’s national side was drafted in. Kuwait, Qatar, Dammam, Phoenix Medicine of the UAE, Riyadh Cricket Association of Saudi Arabia, and Afghanistan Youth Cricket Club will be taking part in the event.

Meanwhile, Asif and Rashid Latif were involved in a meeting with the administrator and commissioner of Karachi along with other top officials on security arrangements during the event.

“We will provide fool-proof security from the hotels to the grounds and they will be in close vicinity of their hotels. Our aim is build a soft image of Pakistan so that sporting activities can resume. We want to tell the world that we are a sports and peace loving nation.”

Meanwhile, Asif lamented the lack of interest from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

“The PCB Chairman Zaka Ashraf, and other top officials, are not answering our calls or replying to our messages and letters,” said Asif.

“We want to invite them for the event and want support. We are not their competitors and I request them to join hands for the sake of Pakistan.”

Published in The Express Tribune, May 12th, 2012.

COMMENTS (18)

Hasan | 9 years ago | Reply

Good move by the Pakistani authorities - my only preference would have been if these players had been detained at the airport and interrogated for several hours before being sent back home. Hindustanis have nothing other than an insecure hatred for Pakistan, and frankly not even one of those 1.2 billion should have a right to set foot in the land they lost 65 years ago.

No great loss at all.

Hasan

K.Q | 9 years ago | Reply

excuse me but although i don't agree with these players being denied visas, i don't fully disagree either.....what have the indians being doing for the last three years?.....not letting our players take part in their league.....for those of you who say we "persist" in our mistakes, don't forget that the pot has NO right to call the pan black.....and we are the one's who have been inviting india to come play with us since a very long time.....now if you choose to deny civility....that is your loss....and your mistake

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read