‘Specific Threat’: US restricts staff during OBL anniversary

Official says the warning was issued in response to information about a specific threat.


Afp April 27, 2012

ISLAMABAD: The US embassy in Islamabad on Thursday barred its staff from restaurants and markets in the capital for several days either side of the anniversary of Osama bin Laden’s death. The al Qaeda kingpin was killed on May 2 last year and there are fears militants may mark the one-year anniversary with an attack. “Due to security concerns, the US embassy has restricted its employees from going to restaurants and markets in Islamabad April 27 - May 5,” a warning on the embassy website said. “We recommend that US citizens in Islamabad during this period take similar precautions.” A US official speaking on condition of anonymity said the warning was issued in response to information about a specific threat.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 27th, 2012.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read