LAHORE: The inquiry commission, formed to look into the matter of patients who died during the doctors’ strike that lasted for more than a month, was instructed on Thursday, to submit its report to the high court by January 11, 2012. Lahore High Court Chief Justice Sheikh Azmat Saeed issued the order on a petition filed by Manzoor Qadir through his counsel Gul Zaman. The petitioner’s counsel submitted that the LHC had ordered the Punjab government, on April 8, to determine whether the doctors on strike were responsible for the death of patients. However, no report of the inquiry commission was made public, the counsel said. The LHC had ordered the inquiry on a petition filed by Manzoor Qadir who sought action against doctors for going on a strike. The petitioner had said that doctors could not deprive any patient of treatment because of the oath they had taken. He had told the court that 40,000 patients had been affected by the strike and many of them had died.
Published in The Express Tribune, December 23rd, 2011.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ