ADDU CITY, MALDIVES: Indian Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai refuted Pakistani Interior Minister Rehman Malik's claim that evidence provided by India to Pakistan with regards to those accused in the Mumbai attacks case was insufficient Express 24/7 reported on Friday.
Mathai insisted that the dossiers provided to Pakistan contain enough evidence to take definitive action against the accused which include Lashkar-e-Taiba chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed.
"We have provided extensive documentation on Hafiz Saeed and those who are under trial for their involvement in the Mumbai attacks. This evidence has been provided. A number of dossiers have been handed over. We believe there is enough information in that for Pakistan to be able to forward their case against those seven accused," said Ranjan Mathai, Foreign Secretary of India.
The Indian foreign secretary, while speaking to the media on sidelines of the SAARC summit said that his country wanted Pakistan to prosecute those involved in the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
On Malik's statement that Ajmal Kasab, the main accused in the Mumbai attacks, should be hanged, an amused Mathai wondered if that statement was elicited due to any evidence Malik had seen.
(Read: Ajmal Kasab should be hanged: Malik)
"You have quoted the Interior Minister as having said that Mr Kasab should be sent to the gallows. It would seem that he, then, believes that there is evidence against him," responded Mathai.
India has demanded Pakistan investigate and convict the militants on its soil responsible for the assault on the Indian commercial capital, Mumbai, in November 2008.
So far, Pakistani authorities have hauled up seven members of the Lashkar-e-Taiba group for trial but India says Pakistan needs to do more, including action against Hafiz Saeed.