MQM raids: Rangers questioning 30 men from MQM unit and sector offices
MQM is the fifth party whose offices and centres the authorities have looked into.
KARACHI:
The Rangers have confirmed the detention of 30 people after raids on Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) offices. They are now questioning the men before handing them over to the police.
The extraordinary arrests took place from the MQM unit offices in Burnes Road, PIB Colony, Lines Area, PECHS Society, Ranchore Lines, Lyari, Garden, Defence and Clifton late on Monday evening. The men were apprehended for allegedly forcing markets and shops in the Old City and Saddar areas to close earlier that day.
On Tuesday, the Rangers released an official statement that confirmed that the men were being held but it did not disclose the their identities or political affiliations. It did not specify if any weapons were seized.
A Rangers official told The Express Tribune that the suspects are still in their custody and that some of them might be released after questioning. District South DIG Commander Shaukat Ali Shah confirmed this and said that cases would be registered against the suspects once they are in police custody.
Things returned to normal following the raids. Shops in the Old City area opened up as law enforcers lined the streets as a precaution. Shopkeepers lauded the Rangers’ quick action against the men harassing them and felt such immediate action should become the norm.
“We thought that the situation would deteriorate after the raids,” said a shopkeeper, “but thank God nothing like that happened.”
Since August 23, the Rangers have been raiding different political and religious party offices and centres. So far, they have covered the MQM, Awami National Party, Sunni Tehreek, People’s Amn Committee and the home of Jeay Sindh Qaumi Mahaz’s chief. For their part, the MQM is eager to show its support for the operations and good faith in the Rangers’ intentions. MQM leader Qamar Mansoor told The Express Tribune that his party appreciated the authorities’ operations and urged that similar action be taken against others. He said that the party never tried to have their activists’ freed. “The Rangers and police know their role well,” he said, “whoever is found involved in any crime will be taken to task and whoever is found innocent will be freed.”
Human Rights Commission of Pakistan field officer Abdul Hai, however, felt that such operations and quick actions are not a permanent solution. He observed that incidents such as small scuffles and aerial firing went ignored in the past, and the law enforcers’ timely action against them was a good sign, however it would not solve the problem at hand.
“Rather, we should try to eliminate corruption and free government departments from political interference,” he suggested. “Unless this happens, nothing positive can be achieved on permanent basis.”
Separately, on Tuesday, the Rangers claimed to have apprehended a suspect and seized 17 weapons during raids in Bohri Bazaar in Saddar and Banaras Chowrangi.
Published in The Express Tribune, October 12th, 2011.
The Rangers have confirmed the detention of 30 people after raids on Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) offices. They are now questioning the men before handing them over to the police.
The extraordinary arrests took place from the MQM unit offices in Burnes Road, PIB Colony, Lines Area, PECHS Society, Ranchore Lines, Lyari, Garden, Defence and Clifton late on Monday evening. The men were apprehended for allegedly forcing markets and shops in the Old City and Saddar areas to close earlier that day.
On Tuesday, the Rangers released an official statement that confirmed that the men were being held but it did not disclose the their identities or political affiliations. It did not specify if any weapons were seized.
A Rangers official told The Express Tribune that the suspects are still in their custody and that some of them might be released after questioning. District South DIG Commander Shaukat Ali Shah confirmed this and said that cases would be registered against the suspects once they are in police custody.
Things returned to normal following the raids. Shops in the Old City area opened up as law enforcers lined the streets as a precaution. Shopkeepers lauded the Rangers’ quick action against the men harassing them and felt such immediate action should become the norm.
“We thought that the situation would deteriorate after the raids,” said a shopkeeper, “but thank God nothing like that happened.”
Since August 23, the Rangers have been raiding different political and religious party offices and centres. So far, they have covered the MQM, Awami National Party, Sunni Tehreek, People’s Amn Committee and the home of Jeay Sindh Qaumi Mahaz’s chief. For their part, the MQM is eager to show its support for the operations and good faith in the Rangers’ intentions. MQM leader Qamar Mansoor told The Express Tribune that his party appreciated the authorities’ operations and urged that similar action be taken against others. He said that the party never tried to have their activists’ freed. “The Rangers and police know their role well,” he said, “whoever is found involved in any crime will be taken to task and whoever is found innocent will be freed.”
Human Rights Commission of Pakistan field officer Abdul Hai, however, felt that such operations and quick actions are not a permanent solution. He observed that incidents such as small scuffles and aerial firing went ignored in the past, and the law enforcers’ timely action against them was a good sign, however it would not solve the problem at hand.
“Rather, we should try to eliminate corruption and free government departments from political interference,” he suggested. “Unless this happens, nothing positive can be achieved on permanent basis.”
Separately, on Tuesday, the Rangers claimed to have apprehended a suspect and seized 17 weapons during raids in Bohri Bazaar in Saddar and Banaras Chowrangi.
Published in The Express Tribune, October 12th, 2011.