Democratic Measures: ‘Transparent voters’ list needed for good governance’

Transparent and error free voters’ lists are imperative for good governance


Express September 30, 2011

ABBOTABAD:


Transparent and error free voters’ lists are imperative for good governance, for which media and civil society has to play its role.


This was stated by Deputy Election Commissioner Hazara Division Khalid Waheed while addressing the media on Thursday. Waheed said 65 per cent of registered voters do not cast their vote, and the remaining 35 per cent are only motivated toward their community candidates.

Such attitude has not strengthened democracy and the media, civil society and academia, being the major stakeholders in influencing people, should support EC’s ongoing campaign of voters’ verification through Nadra.

He said that over 8,000 education department officials were involved in door to door verification of voters’ lists in Hazara. He urged the people to cooperate with the staff of the verification process.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 30th, 2011.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read