Sindh govt again seeks SHC judicial commission to probe Mir Raza murder case
Mir Raza Ali, owner of the popular dessert shop Wafflix, whose body was found in Gulistan-e-Jauhar after he was allegedly kidnapped from PECHS. — SCREENGRAB/ Youtube
The Sindh government has once again decided to request the chief justice of the Sindh High Court (SHC) to constitute a judicial commission to investigate the murder of Mir Raza Ali, the Sindh chief minister’s spokesperson said on Sunday.
Soon after the killing, the Sindh government had decided to constitute a judicial commission headed by an SHC judge to oversee a transparent and impartial investigation. It later deferred the formation of the commission after the victim’s family expressed confidence in a newly constituted police investigation team.
The spokesperson, in a statement today, said the Sindh government had taken the concerns raised by Ali’s family “extremely seriously” and that a letter sent by the family to the chief minister had been received.
"The judicial commission will conduct an impartial and transparent investigation into the murder case and examine any shortcomings in the investigation, important aspects and evidence requiring further inquiry," the spokesperson said.
The statement added that the commission would also review the role of police, medico-legal officers and other relevant officials. It may recommend action if negligence, dereliction of duty, professional misconduct or tampering with evidence was established.
According to a spokesperson, the commission would have the authority to recommend further investigation and forensic analysis. Under the Sindh Tribunals of Inquiry Ordinance 1969, it would have powers equivalent to those of a civil court and would be able to summon witnesses, record statements on oath, and requisition documents and records.
"The chief minister has directed all government departments, institutions and officials to fully cooperate with the commission, while the Home Department will provide the necessary secretariat support," the spokesperson said.
The statement said that the commission would submit its report, findings and recommendations to the Sindh government within 30 days of its establishment. Its term may be extended if required to ensure a complete and fair investigation.
The spokesperson said the commission would comprehensively review the investigation procedure and the role of relevant authorities, and would have full authority to recommend appropriate action in accordance with the law.
“The Sindh government stands with the family of Ali,” the spokesperson said, adding that a transparent judicial inquiry would address the family’s legitimate concerns and further strengthen confidence in the rule of law.
Read: Mir Raza re-postmortem blows hole in suicide theory
Meanwhile, Ali's father Mir Hussain expressed reservations over the Sindh government's decision to form a judicial commission to investigate his son's murder, saying he would approach the SHC against the move.
Hussain said he would approach the high court on Monday morning and request it to constitute a joint investigation team (JIT) to probe the case.
The case
Ali, 25, was allegedly kidnapped from PECHS before his body was found in bushes near a wedding hall in Gulistan-e-Johar on July 29. The case had initially been surrounded by uncertainty over whether he had been murdered or died by suicide.
However, the findings of the second post-mortem consolidated his family’s longstanding claim that he had been murdered. The police probe is facing constant scrutiny by the public because of earlier lapses that were also admitted by the Sindh Police chief.