'National Treasure 3' is ‘finally real’ with Nicolas Cage returning, director confirms

'National Treasure 3' is moving forward with Nicolas Cage returning as Benjamin Gates, according to director

Photo: Reuters

National Treasure 3 is moving forward with Nicolas Cage expected to return as treasure hunter Benjamin Gates, according to original director Jon Turteltaub.

Speaking at a live event in Philadelphia on Friday, Turteltaub confirmed that the long-discussed sequel is now in development and said a screenplay has been approved by both himself and Disney.

“It’s happening,” Turteltaub told the National Treasure Hunt podcast, explaining that the audience was the first group he had publicly shared the news with.

The director also confirmed Cage’s expected return as Ben Gates, the character he portrayed in the first two National Treasure films. Turteltaub cautioned, however, that the project remains subject to the uncertainties of Hollywood production.

“It’s finally real. Now, it’s Hollywood real, meaning things could happen,” he said. “Nic gets hit by a bus, there’s no National Treasure 3. If I get hit by a bus, there’s probably a National Treasure 3. Welcome to Hollywood.”

Turteltaub added that “to whatever extent we can, everyone’s back”, indicating that the original cast is expected to reunite for the third film. Representatives for Disney and Cage have been contacted for comment.

The first National Treasure, released in 2004, starred Cage alongside Diane Kruger and Justin Bartha.

National Treasure 3 has been discussed for almost two decades. Cage previously expressed doubt about the sequel in a 2022 Reddit AMA. 

Load Next Story