Perez Hilton remains hospitalised after disturbing TikTok livestream as family shares new health update

His family says he continues receiving medical and mental health care while his website prepares to resume publishing

Photo: TNS

Perez Hilton remains hospitalised nearly two weeks after a disturbing TikTok livestream that led to an emergency response and his admission for medical treatment. His family has now confirmed that the 48 year old internet personality continues receiving inpatient care as he focuses on his recovery.

In an update published on Hilton’s website on August 17, his family thanked people who had contacted them and expressed concern about his condition. They said Hilton remains under the care of medical and mental health professionals while his treatment continues.

"At this time, Perez remains hospitalized and is receiving the medical care he needs," the family said. "His treatment is continuing in an inpatient setting under the care of a dedicated team of medical and mental health professionals."

The update comes almost two weeks after Hilton appeared to self harm during a TikTok livestream from his Miami home on August 4. The incident prompted authorities to respond to his residence after his sister, Barbara Lavandeira, contacted emergency services.

According to a Miami Dade County Sheriff’s Office incident report obtained by PEOPLE, Hilton was treated for multiple lacerations and an overdose before being transported to hospital. The report stated that he had experienced significant bleeding during the incident.

Hilton was subsequently hospitalised under Florida’s Baker Act, which permits authorities to arrange an involuntary mental health examination when a person is believed to present a danger to themselves or others.

His family later said on August 8 that Hilton had suffered significant blood loss and additional injuries that required surgery. They also warned that his recovery would be lengthy. His TikTok account was subsequently banned following the livestream.

The latest statement also revealed that work on Hilton’s long running entertainment website will resume while he remains in treatment. His team is expected to begin publishing stories again, allowing the site to continue operating while Hilton prioritises his health.

"Perez built PerezHilton.com more than 20 years ago, and it has remained one of the most important parts of his life ever since," his family said. They added that his team would focus on publishing the day’s biggest stories.

The situation has also affected Hilton’s three children, Mario, 13, Mia, 11, and Mayte, 8. The children are currently living with Hilton’s mother in Miami after the family moved closer to relatives earlier this year.

Hilton’s mother, Teresita Lavandeira, filed for temporary custody of the three children several days after the August 4 incident. Her attorney said the purpose of the filing was to protect the children and ensure their safety.

Hilton’s family previously said the children, along with his sister and niece, were at the property shortly before the crisis but left after it became apparent that he was experiencing a severe mental health emergency.

The family has continued to ask for support and privacy as Hilton undergoes treatment.

Load Next Story