Haj pilgrim numbers surpass 2025 arrivals despite Middle East war

Saudi Arabia says 1,518,153 foreign pilgrims have arrived for this year's Haj by Friday

Pilgrims pray at the Kaaba and the Station of Ibrahim (Maqam Ibrahim) as they attend Friday prayers at the Grand Mosque ahead of the start of hajj in the holy city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia. REUTERS

Over 1.5 million pilgrims have arrived in Saudi Arabia from outside the kingdom for the upcoming Haj, according to a Saudi official, exceeding the number of international visitors last year despite the war in the Middle East.

The conflict triggered by the US and Israeli strikes on Iran in late February saw Tehran order waves of strikes on targets in Saudi Arabia and across the Gulf, prompting widespread air traffic disruptions and causing travel costs to surge.

Major Gulf airlines in the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, and Bahrain have worked to quickly restore much of their operational capacity after weeks of airspace closures and flight cancellations.

Read More: Saudi Arabia deploys drones, AI to enhance security during Haj

Despite the complications, pilgrims have continued to flock to Saudi Arabia to participate in this year’s Haj.

“The total number of pilgrims arriving from abroad has reached 1,518,153,” Saleh Al-Murabba, the commander of Saudi Arabia’s Haj Passport Forces, told a press conference late on Friday.

These figures are expected to rise further over the next two days as pilgrims continue to arrive from abroad ahead of the formal rituals that mark the beginning of the Haj on Monday.

Last year, the total number of pilgrims at the Haj reached 1,673,320, including 1,506,576 from outside Saudi Arabia.

 

Load Next Story