Hospital probes alleged lapse in HIV screening

Report flags possible SOP violations, administrative delays

MULTAN:

The administration of Nishtar Hospital Multan has constituted an inquiry committee to investigate a reported case involving the surgery of a suspected HIV patient in the general operation theatre of the hospital's surgery department.

According to hospital sources, the patient was admitted to the General Surgery Ward on Monday in a critical condition.

Blood samples were sent to the laboratory for HIV screening prior to surgery, however, due to worsening health, doctors decided to proceed with an emergency operation. Sources said the patient was operated on as the last case on the operation list in the general operation theatre.

After the procedure, the HIV report confirmed the patient was positive, following which the surgery department informed the hospital administration.

The hospital administration stated that disinfection and sterilisation of all operation theatres was carried out late at night after the procedure.

A spokesperson said initial findings suggested that the HIV-positive patient was the last case of the day and was treated as a "suspected HIV case" in line with standard operating procedures (SOPs).

The spokesperson further said ELISA testing confirmed HIV positivity, while samples had been sent to Lahore for PCR confirmation.

Head of the Surgery Department, Dr Masoodul Rauf Haraj, said the procedure was an emergency operation performed by junior doctors and the case was handled at the end of the surgical list.

He said standard decontamination procedures were followed after the surgery and the positive report was received later during the night.

He added that the matter came to his knowledge on Wednesday morning, after which hospital and university administration were immediately informed.

He also stated that the patient had previously undergone two surgeries at Nishtar Hospital and had tested HIV negative at that time.

The inquiry committee will examine multiple aspects of the case, including why surgery was performed before receiving HIV screening results and the timeline of reporting after confirmation.

The committee has been directed to submit its report within two days.

Meanwhile, a separate development revealed that the hospital administration has suspended nine doctors and a charge nurse over alleged SOP violations in connection with the case.

According to a notification issued by Medical Superintendent Dr Rao Amjad, the suspended staff include medical officers, postgraduate trainees from surgery, anaesthesia and pathology departments, as well as a charge nurse.

The notification stated that on May 19, a patient underwent abdominal surgery in Operation Room-17 without the availability of confirmed HIV screening results.

While hepatitis B and C tests were negative, HIV results were still pending.

It added that proceeding with the surgery despite awaiting HIV screening was a violation of SOPs, safety protocols, and directives issued by the Vice Chancellor's office and CSSD, and was termed serious negligence and misconduct.

The suspended staff have been directed to report to the concerned office during the inquiry period and have been barred from leaving station without permission.

Load Next Story