US sanctions nine over Hezbollah ties, including Lebanese MPs

.

WASHINGTON:

The United States on Thursday sanctioned nine Hezbollah-linked individuals it accused of “obstructing the peace process in Lebanon,” as Israeli strikes on the southern part of the country continued despite a ceasefire.
“Hezbollah is a terrorist organization and must be fully disarmed,” said Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent.
“Treasury will continue to take action against officials who have infiltrated the Lebanese government and are enabling Hezbollah to wage its senseless campaign of violence against the Lebanese people and obstruct lasting peace.”
Iran-backed Hezbollah has wide-ranging support in Lebanon, with both an armed and a political wing, including elected members of parliament.
The group has staunchly opposed recent direct peace talks between Lebanese and Israeli representatives. Washington and its ally Israel have called for the complete disarmament of the group.
Among those sanctioned on Thursday were Hezbollah MPs Hassan Fadlallah, Ibrahim al-Moussawi and Hussein al-Hajj Hassan, and executive council leader Mohamed Abdel-Mottaleb Fanich.
Washington has also sanctioned Mohammad Reza Sheibani, the Iranian ambassador-designate to Lebanon who was declared persona non grata and ordered to leave the country in March.
Others sanctioned on Thursday included Ahmad Asaad Baalbaki and Ali Ahmad Safawi of Hezbollah political ally Amal, and serving Lebanese military officers Brigadier-General Khattar Nasser Eldin and Colonel Samir Hamadi.
In a separate statement, the US State Department said it was offering a reward of up to $10 million “for information leading to the disruption of the financial mechanisms of Hezbollah.” Earlier in the day, Lebanon said an Israeli strike damaged a hospital in the country’s south, where Israel and Hezbollah have been trading fire despite a ceasefire announced April 17.
Since the start of the US-Israel war on Iran, Israeli soldiers have invaded and occupied part of south Lebanon, operating in an area that runs to around 10 kilometres (six miles) north of the border.
Israeli attacks have killed more than 2,900 people in Lebanon since the latest conflict began, including more than 400 since the ceasefire took effect, according to Lebanese authorities. Last week, the truce was extended for 45 days following a third round of direct talks between Lebanese and Israeli representatives in Washington.

Load Next Story