Israeli forces fired shots at Gaza aid flotilla vessels, video shows
Organisers say Israeli forces intercepted 44 boats in eastern Mediterranean, six boats were still sailing

Israeli forces opened fire towards at least two vessels sailing in an aid flotilla bound for Gaza on Tuesday, according to video footage and the flotilla organisers, but there were no reports of any casualties.
Video from the flotilla's livestream showed soldiers firing shots at two of the boats, but the type of ammunition was not clear. Another spokesperson for the flotilla said six vessels had been fired at.
The Israeli military declined to comment, referring Reuters to the foreign ministry. A spokesperson for the foreign ministry did not immediately respond to Reuters' questions.
The organisers said that Israeli forces had intercepted 44 of their boats in the eastern Mediterranean and six boats were still sailing.
Speaking in Ankara late on Monday, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan condemned the intervention against the "voyagers of hope" in the flotilla and called on the international community to act against Israel's actions.
RED ALERT!
— Global Sumud Flotilla (@gbsumudflotilla) May 18, 2026
Military vessels are currently intercepting our fleet and IOF forces are boarding the first of our boats in broad daylight.
We demand safe passage for our legal, non-violent humanitarian mission. Governments must act now to stop these illegal acts or piracy meant to… pic.twitter.com/4RmPuswZNo
Israel’s foreign ministry had said on X on Monday that it “will not allow any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza”.
Activists from the provocation flotilla are seen hugging after being transferred to Israeli vessels. So far, no aid has been found on their boats. pic.twitter.com/7ZAqKz5lEW
— Israel Foreign Ministry (@IsraelMFA) May 18, 2026
Ships from the Global Sumud Flotilla had set sail for a third time on Thursday from southern Turkiye, after earlier attempts to deliver aid to Gaza were intercepted by Israel in international waters.
The group previously said there were 426 people taking part in the flotilla from 39 countries.
Israel's foreign ministry has called on "all participants in this provocation to change course and turn back immediately".
The United States Treasury said it was imposing sanctions against four people associated with what it described as the "pro-Hamas" flotilla.
The pro-terror flotilla attempting to reach Gaza is a ludicrous attempt to undermine President Trump’s successful progress toward lasting peace in the region. Treasury will continue to sever Hamas’ global financial support networks, no matter where in the world they are. https://t.co/KB7VHRQizZ
— Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent (@SecScottBessent) May 19, 2026
Pro-Palestinian activists say Israel and the US wrongly conflate their advocacy for Palestinian rights with support for Hamas.
Palestinians and international aid bodies say supplies reaching Gaza are still insufficient, despite a ceasefire reached in October that included guarantees of increased aid.
Most of Gaza's more than two million people have been displaced, many now living in bombed-out homes and makeshift tents pitched on open ground, roadsides, or atop the ruins of destroyed buildings.
Israel, which controls all access to the Gaza Strip, denies withholding supplies for its residents.



















COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ