Iran says new US aggression will result in 'stronger response'
Iranian FM spokesperson states that nuclear enrichment is Iran's non-negotiable right

Spokesperson for the Iranian Parliament's National Security Commission Ebrahim Rezaei stated on Tuesday that "any new aggression against Iran will be met with a stronger response and will make Trump even more ashamed," according to an X post by Iranian state broadcaster IRIB.
🚨 "Any new aggression against Iran will be met with a stronger response and will make Trump even more ashamed." - Ebrahim Rezaei, Spokesperson for the Parliament's National Security Commission
— IRIB (Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting) (@iribnews_irib) May 19, 2026
"The Americans must either surrender to diplomacy and our conditions, or surrender to the power of our missiles."
🚨 "The Americans must either surrender to diplomacy and our conditions, or surrender to the power of our missiles." - Ebrahim Rezaei, Spokesperson for the Parliament's National Security Commission
— IRIB (Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting) (@iribnews_irib) May 19, 2026
In a separate statement carried by IRIB, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei stated that Iran's right to nuclear enrichment is "non-negotiable."
🚨 Baqaei, spokesperson Iran's FM: Iran's right to enrichment is not negotiable.
— IRIB (Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting) (@iribnews_irib) May 19, 2026
"Enrichment is Iran's right. Others' remarks on this matter do not matter!"
UN wants ‘no constraint’ on Strait of Hormuz access in light of new Iranian authority
Responding to a question on Iran creating the Persian Gulf Strait Authority to administer shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, UN spokesperson Farhan Haq has said it does not “want any particular entity to restrict … freedom of access” to the strategic waterway, Al Jazeera reported.
“Ultimately, for us, we want to make sure that there’s no constraint to freedom of navigation on the high seas and on the Strait of Hormuz,” Haq said.
Trump says he paused attack on Iran, signals a nuclear deal may be possible
US President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack against Iran after Tehran sent a peace proposal to Washington, and that there was now a "very good chance" of reaching a deal limiting Iran's nuclear program.
After Iran sent the US a new peace proposal, Trump said he had instructed the US military that "we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow, but have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large-scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached."
No such attack had previously been announced, and Reuters could not determine whether preparations had been made for strikes that would mark a renewal of the war Trump started in late February.
Under pressure to reach an accord that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, Trump has previously expressed hope that a deal was close on ending the war, and similarly threatened heavy strikes on Iran if Tehran does not reach a deal.
In his post, he said the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates had requested that he hold off on the attack because "a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond." He did not offer details of the agreement being discussed.
Speaking to reporters later, he said the United States would be satisfied if it could reach an agreement with Iran that prevents Tehran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
"There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I would be very happy," Trump told reporters gathered for an unrelated announcement.
Trump's post on calling off an attack came after Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed that Tehran's views had been "conveyed to the American side through Pakistan", but gave no details.
Iran remains steadfast
Iran remained steadfast in statements issued on state media after Trump's announcement, warning the US and its allies against making any further "strategic mistakes or miscalculations" in attacking Iran, while contending the Iranian armed forces were "more prepared and stronger than in the past."
Iran's top joint military command, Khatam al-Anbiya, said Iran's armed forces are "ready to pull the trigger" in the event of any renewed US attack, according to Iran's Tasnim news agency.
"Any renewed aggression and invasion ... will be responded to quickly, decisively, powerfully, and extensively," the commander of Khatam al-Anbiya, Ali Abdollahi, was quoted as saying.
The Iranian peace proposal, as described by a senior Iranian source, appeared similar in many respects to Iran's previous offer, which Trump rejected last week as "garbage".
It would focus first on securing an end to the war, reopening the Strait of Hormuz - a major oil supply route that Iran has effectively blockaded - and lifting maritime sanctions.
Apparent softening by Washington
In an apparent softening of Washington's stance, the senior Iranian source said on Monday that the United States had agreed to release a quarter of Iran's frozen funds - totalling tens of billions of dollars - held in foreign banks. Iran wants all the assets released.
The Iranian source also said Washington had shown more flexibility in agreeing to let Iran continue some peaceful nuclear activity under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency.
The US has not confirmed that it has agreed to anything in the talks.
Iran's Tasnim news agency separately quoted an unidentified source as saying the US had agreed to waive oil sanctions on Iran during negotiations.
Iranian officials did not immediately comment on Tasnim's report, which a US official, who declined to be named, said was false.
A fragile ceasefire is in place after six weeks of war that followed US-Israeli airstrikes on Iran. However, drones have been launched from Iraq towards Gulf countries, including Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, allegedly by Iran and its allies, an unsubstantiated claim that Iran has rebuked.
The Foreign Ministry issued a statement on Monday condemning a drone attack on Sunday, in which Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted three drones that entered the country from Iraqi airspace.



















COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ