Israeli forces detain Saad Edhi, other volunteers after intercepting Global Sumud Flotilla

Faisal Edhi appeals to govt, FO to take legal action against Israeli forces

An Israeli naval boat intercepts the Global Sumud Flotilla en route to Gaza, in an attempt to deliver aid, at sea May 18, 2026, in this screengrab taken from a handout video. Global Sumud Flotilla/Handout via REUTERS

Edhi Foundation Chairman Faisal Edhi alleged on Monday that Israeli forces had detained his son, Saad Edhi, along with other volunteers after intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla as the mission was carrying aid, including medicine and food, for victims in Gaza.

In a message on Meta, Faisal said that around 1pm Pakistan Standard Time, Israeli forces intervened in the Gaza aid flotilla near Cyprus in international waters and arrested his son along with other volunteers.

“They were in international waters, and Israeli forces have no right to arrest them. We don't know where they have taken them,” he said.

Faisal appealed to the federal government and the Foreign Office to take legal action against the Israeli forces for detaining a Pakistani citizen.

“I urge FO to raise this issue with the UN and the international community regarding the detention of a Pakistani citizen,” he added.

He further said that the UN and the international community must stop the unlawful actions of the Israeli forces against civilians and work to end the genocide in Gaza, providing urgent assistance to the people there.

Forty-five years ago, Abdul Sattar Edhi himself was similarly arrested by the Israeli military in 1980 while travelling to Gaza with relief supplies to help Palestinians.

Speaking to The Express Tribune, Faisal said that the aid workers were arrested near Greece in international waters, calling the act illegal. He added that the government should raise its voice against this action on international forums.

He further stated that there was still no information about Saad’s whereabouts or where the Israeli military has transferred the detained aid workers. However, it was expected that more information regarding Saad and the aid workers from other countries may emerge on Tuesday.

The organisers of a flotilla of aid vessels bound for Gaza said that Israeli forces ‌had intercepted 28 of their boats in the eastern Mediterranean, while the remaining 26 ships were continuing to sail toward the enclave.

Earlier on Monday, Israel's foreign ministry had said on X that it "will not allow any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza".

Ships from the Global Sumud Flotilla had set sail for a third time ​on Thursday from southern Turkiye, after earlier attempts to deliver aid to Gaza were intercepted by Israel in international waters.

Live video ​showed military vessels approaching the vessels on Monday.

"Military vessels are currently intercepting our fleet and (Israeli) forces are ⁠boarding the first of our boats in broad daylight," the Global Sumud Flotilla initially said on X.

"We demand safe passage for our legal, ​non-violent humanitarian mission."

Load Next Story