TODAY’S PAPER | February 20, 2026 | EPAPER

Conner Smith’s fatal crash charge dropped after family request

Conner Smith’s charge in the 2025 crash that killed Dorothy Dobbins was dropped at her family’s request


Pop Culture & Art February 20, 2026 1 min read
Photo: AFP

Country singer Conner Smith will not face further legal action over the fatal June 2025 car accident that killed 77 year old Dorothy Dobbins after her family requested that the charge be withdrawn.

According to a statement from Smith’s attorney, Worrick G Robinson IV, the misdemeanor citation connected to the Nashville collision has been formally dropped. The decision was made at the request of Dobbins’ family, bringing an end to the legal case months after the tragedy shook the Germantown community.

Dorothy “Dot” Dobbins was struck by Smith’s Chevrolet Silverado on 8 June 2025 while crossing a marked crosswalk in Nashville. She was later pronounced dead at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. At the time, the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department said the preliminary contributing factor appeared to be Smith failing to yield the right of way to the pedestrian. Authorities confirmed he showed no signs of impairment.

Smith, 25, was issued a misdemeanor citation in July 2025 for failure to yield resulting in a fatality. The classification as a misdemeanor rather than a felony indicated no evidence of criminal intent, according to sources familiar with the case.

In a statement shared with media following confirmation that the charge had been dropped, Robinson described the incident as a profound tragedy for Dobbins’ family and the wider community. He said Smith had taken time in recent months to personally get to know Dobbins’ relatives and express his deep and sincere grief. “While he is grateful that this legal chapter has concluded, he will continue to steadfastly lift her family up in prayer,” the attorney said.

Smith previously addressed the accident in a July 2025 social media post, writing that his heart was broken and that not a day had passed without him grieving and praying for Dobbins and her loved ones. During a later podcast appearance, he spoke about the emotional darkness of being linked to someone’s death, describing it as feeling like a tornado had torn through his life.

Neither the Davidson County District Attorney’s Office nor Dobbins’ family has publicly elaborated beyond confirming that the withdrawal came at the family’s request. With the legal case now closed, attention turns to how both sides continue to process the aftermath of a tragedy that deeply affected a Nashville neighbourhood.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ