TODAY’S PAPER | February 20, 2026 | EPAPER

Kabul issued demarche over Bajaur attack

Islamabad demands 'verifiable measures' against terrorists


Kamran Yousaf February 20, 2026 3 min read
Foreign Office. Photo: File

ISLAMABAD:

The Foreign Office on Thursday said it summoned the Afghan Deputy Head of Mission and delivered a strong demarche over the deadly terrorist attack in Bajaur on February 16, warning Kabul to take "immediate, concrete and verifiable measures" against terrorist groups operating from its soil.

According to an official statement, the demarche was conveyed to the representative of the Afghan Taliban regime following a vehicle-borne suicide bombing and subsequent fire raid on a Pakistan Military and Law Enforcement Agencies' post in Bajaur. Eleven Pakistani soldiers were martyred in the assault.

Pakistan condemned "in the strongest possible terms" the attack, which it said was carried out by Fitna al Khwarij, also known as the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP). The Foreign Office expressed serious concern that the entire leadership of FAK/TTP was based in Afghanistan and continued to operate with impunity from Afghan territory.

Islamabad reiterated that it had repeatedly received assurances from the Afghan Taliban authorities that Afghan soil would not be used for terrorism against Pakistan. However, the statement noted with regret that there had been no "visible or concrete actions" to address Pakistan's concerns.

The Afghan side was categorically informed that Pakistan reserved the right to respond and eliminate any Khwarij belonging to FAK along with their affiliates "wherever they are located" in order to safeguard its soldiers, civilians and territorial integrity.

The demarche came amid heightened tensions along the Pak-Afghan border and followed what officials described as a worrying escalation in cross-border attacks.

During his weekly press briefing on Thursday, Foreign Office spokesperson Tahir Andrabi elaborated on the context of the démarche, terming the Bajaur attack a "cowardly" act.

Andrabi underlined that while Pakistan remained committed to dialogue and diplomacy in the broader context of its historic, cultural and ethnic ties with Afghanistan, patience had its limits when it came to attacks on Pakistani civilians and security personnel.

He said Pakistan's right to self-defence under Article 51 of the UN Charter remained intact and any action taken against terrorist elements would be aimed at protecting innocent lives.

The spokesperson also highlighted Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif's visit to Washington at the invitation of US President Donald J. Trump to attend the inaugural session of the Board of Peace (BoP) on February 19.

Summarizing multiple questions on the agenda of the BoP meeting, Andrabi said a decision was still awaited on the contours of the mandate of the proposed International Stabilization Force (ISF).

"We understand that a decision is awaited on the contours of the mandate of the International Stabilization Force, and till such time, we're not in a position to take any decision on this matter," he said.

He reiterated that Pakistan had clearly identified its "red lines."

"Pakistan can be part of a peacekeeping mandate, but we would not be part of any disarming/demilitarization mandates," he stated, adding that discussions on the issue might take place during the BoP meeting in Washington.

On concerns regarding the participation of certain countries in the Board, Andrabi said Pakistan had joined the forum with a particular focus. "We have joined Board of Peace with a particular focus i.e. the reconstruction in Gaza, long term settlement of the Palestinian issues. So, we would continue to follow this approach, and not be bothered by participation of one country or another."

He described the BoP as offering a "glimmer of hope" and expressed the expectation that it would help ease the plight of the Palestinian people, particularly in Gaza, and contribute to peace, prosperity and a pathway toward a lasting resolution of the Palestinian issue.

Referring to recent developments in the occupied West Bank, the spokesperson said the subject might also come up during the BoP meeting, especially in light of concerns expressed by eight Arab and Islamic countries over Israel's actions.

As diplomatic engagements continued abroad, Islamabad's message to Kabul remained firm: Afghan soil must not be used for terrorism against Pakistan, and assurances must translate into tangible action.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ