Gul Plaza fire toll rises to 28 as DNA testing begins to identify victims

Sindh governor proposes relocating Gul Plaza traders; K-P CM sends condolence letter to CM Shah

The blaze, which broke out late Saturday night, has destroyed most parts of the building. PHOTO: REUTERS

The death toll from a massive fire at Gul Plaza shopping mall on MA Jinnah Road in Karachi rose to 28 on Tuesday.

The blaze, which broke out late Saturday night, has destroyed most parts of the building. Rescue teams are still removing debris and recovering bodies.

Police surgeon Dr Summaiya Syed said DNA samples had been collected from 14 bodies, with the identification of six victims completed. She said one body was identified through a national identity card, while samples from 48 family members had been received to help establish the identities of the remaining victims.

All samples have been sent to the Sindh Forensic DNA Laboratory, while DNA testing will be carried out at the University of Karachi, she said. Additional human remains recovered from the site will be processed on Tuesday.

Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) City Arif Aziz told reporters that official confirmation of fatalities would only be issued after DNA matching and completion of all legal requirements. He said he could currently confirm 13 bodies for which the legal process had been completed.

The SSP said Gul Plaza had been sealed and no one was being allowed to enter the premises. He added that traders had been asked to provide names to identify goods being recovered from the site. So far, 12 names have been submitted.

All items recovered during the operation are being shifted to the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation ground and will be returned to their owners after completion of the prescribed procedure, he said.

Separately, Karachi Mayor Murtaza Wahab said the Sindh Building Control Authority had started to take action based on the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation’s fire safety audit of various buildings.

Load Next Story