Sindh CM rules out creation of new province
Photo: File
Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah has strongly dismissed any possibility of creating a new province within Sindh, urging the public not to take related rumours seriously.
Speaking to the media at Bhan Saeedabad Press Club in Jamshoro district on Saturday, the CM reiterated that the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) will always act in the best interests of both Pakistan and Sindh.
“Will anyone living in Sindh agree to dividing the province?” he asked, answering his own question by noting that there are no such voices in the province and thus no reason for concern. “There is no question of dividing Sindh,” he said firmly.
When asked about a possible 28th constitutional amendment, CM Murad said it was too early to comment, as no draft has emerged yet. While he avoided commenting on the potential replacement of Sindh Governor Kamran Tessori, he noted that appointing a governor is the prerogative of the prime minister and the president.
The CM also voiced concern over rising sugar prices, stating that he has directed Chief Secretary Syed Asif Haider Shah to take measures to reduce retail prices while ensuring sugarcane farmers receive fair rates for their crops. Although the sugarcane harvest began in October, the provincial government has yet to fix procurement prices for mills, despite notifying the start of the crushing season from November 15.
Last year, the government did not set procurement prices for sugarcane or wheat to comply with International Monetary Fund (IMF) conditions. However, the recent announcement of a wheat procurement price of Rs3,500 per maund has raised hopes among farmers for fair cane pricing.
During a spot check of outlets selling agricultural inputs, seeds, and fertilisers in rural areas, he assured farmers that the government is monitoring stockpiling and curbing inflationary prices to protect their interests.