Lodhran sets up three tent cities
Authorities have warned that a flood wave of 130,000 to 140,000 cusecs is expected to pass through Lodhran on Monday and Tuesday. Officials said all precautionary and protective measures have been taken to safeguard lives and property.
According to the district administration, three tent cities have been set up to accommodate evacuees. Two are located in Lodhran — at Haveli Naseer Khan and Boys High School — while the third has been established at Bahawalgarh in Kahror Pakka.
Residents have been urged to immediately move to safer areas or designated relief camps if directed by the administration. "All necessary facilities have been arranged at these camps," Additional Deputy Commissioner Syed Waseem Hassan Shah said during a briefing at one of the relief sites.
He added that the Punjab government and district administration stand with the people during this crisis. "We have completed all arrangements to deal with the flood situation in the Sutlej. We request citizens to fully cooperate with us," Shah said.
Meanwhile, the district administration intensified relief and evacuation efforts to safeguard lives and property.
Deputy Commissioner (DC) Dr Lubna Nazir, accompanied by Additional Deputy Commissioner (Revenue) Syed Waseem Hassan, Assistant Commissioner Erum Shahzadi, and other officials, visited the flood-prone areas of Adam Wahan and Munshi Wala Basti to oversee preventive measures.
During the visit, Dr Nazir personally supervised the relocation of household belongings to safer places and directed the immediate evacuation of people and livestock from vulnerable areas.
She said that Section 144 had been imposed along riverine belts, and announcements were being made through loudspeakers and megaphones to urge residents to move to safe zones.
The DC warned that if a high-level flood strikes, nearly 25,000 to 30,000 people could be affected, as the Sutlej runs for about 70 kilometres through Lodhran, threatening nearly 40 villages.
"So far, 80% of residents in vulnerable areas have been evacuated," she said.
Dr. Nazir added that under the directives of Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz Sharif, the district administration is fully prepared to extend maximum assistance to flood victims. Flood relief camps and tent settlements have already been made operational, equipped with all basic necessities for displaced families.
She further stated that demand lists for boats, tents, life jackets, bed sheets, mosquito nets, mats, and other essential machinery had been finalised to ensure.