QUETTA: Security forces arrested a suspect on Monday, in connection with the attack on the Peshawar-bound passenger train Quetta Express in Bolan district which left three passengers dead and 19 others injured on Sunday.
According to the Frontier Corps (FC) spokesperson, security forces had launched a search operation in the mountainous areas of Mach soon after the incident. “One of the suspects was arrested while efforts are underway to nab others,” he said, adding that FC also took a motorcycle into custody. A case has also been registered in the Mach Levies Station against unidentified persons under the anti-terrorism act. The defunct Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) had claimed responsibility for the attack.
While talking to The Express Tribune, Home Secretary Nasebullah Bazai said security on the Quetta-Nasirabad route had been beefed up a few days ago, since the government had prior information about a possible terror attack. “The FC, police and Balochistan Levies had been deputed in sensitive areas,” he said. “A high-level meeting over the law and order situation will be called after Eid and to devise a strategy to prevent future attacks”.
The 19 injured who belonged to Punjab and Sindh were brought to the Sademan Hospital in Quetta. All of them are said to be out of danger. “The condition of all those who were injured in the attack is stable. If they want to return to their native town, the government will make all arrangements in this regard,” said Nasebullah Bazai.
Published in The Express Tribune, August 30th, 2011.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ