Short circuit triggers fire in Bara Market

Valuables worth Rs20m reportedly burnt to ashes


Our Correspondent June 15, 2021
Woman sets herself ablaze, man consumes anti-rodent chemicals. PHOTO: FILE

RAWALPINDI:

Around Rs20 million worth of goods were burnt to ashes in a fire that broke out in Bara Market due to a short circuit on Monday. No casualties were reported in the blaze, a Rescue 1122 spokesperson informed.

He said firefighters carried out a four-hour-long operation to douse the flames from spreading further, adding that they faced severe difficulties during the operation as the smoke had engulfed the narrow streets of the bazaar.

It was noted that there are hundreds of shops of traders in the market where business activities worth millions of rupees are carried out daily. However, none of the dozens of shops in the market has fire extinguishers nor there are any fire safety exits.

Read Final warning over lack of fire safety at factories

The Rescue 1122 official said that the fire erupted early morning after which teams reached the scene immediately. He informed that six fire tankers and two special rescue vehicles took part in the operation, adding that the cooling process was launched after the fire was brought under control which continued for another two hours.

As per the preliminary investigation, the fire was a result of a short circuit. Sources said that valuable electronics, clothes and cosmetics burnt in the blaze were worth around Rs20 million while timely action further saved valuables estimated around Rs30 million from being damaged.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 15h, 2021.

E-Publications

Most Read

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ